GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low RPM Stutter - MKV GTI w/DSG

Horigan

Passed Driver's Ed
Having a very weird issue...

In 5th or 6th gear (sometimes others), cruising around 40mph with RPMs around 1600-2200 and light pressure on the gas pedal, the engine will start to stutter. It goes away if I press harder (will not downshift) or lift off. But it will happen again if I'm being gentle with the accelerator. There are no flashing CEL's or CEL at all, and the car has no other issues. As far as I know, it's been in to the same VW dealer every 10k miles since new. It has also had its DSG service 25k miles ago.

Should I start by replacing the coil packs, spark plugs and wire rail? Could it be the DV? I hope to god it's not the clutch(es), DMF or mechatronic failure. It shifts and runs smooth otherwise.

The only thing I've tried is turning the ignition on and leaving it sit for 3 minutes. Apparently this calibrates the throttle somehow? I have no clue. I've also read that this is normal, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I don't have access to a Vag-Com cable, but I do have a wifi OBDII adapter and DashCmd app for iOS. I scanned and had no faults and everything looks normal.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Yeah I was misfiring on cylinder 4, switched the coil to cylinder 1 and misfire followed. You could try the same to be sure it's coils.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just under 90k. I actually (finally) got a check engine light, it was P0301. So it's misfiring on Cylinder 1. Hopefully its just the coil or plug, I don't want to replace an injector or do intake cleaning.

If it's never had the intake valves cleaned, it's time & inevitable on this engine

You can try throwing in coil packs & plugs for maintenance/peace of mind, but if they've never been cleaned....that's probably the culprit

Horigan

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE: Plugs and Coils did not fix the issue. Still no CEL or flashing CEL.

It seems to only happen when the engine is cold and will continue to hesitate under low throttle input until it gets to operating temperature (usually 190f.)

Thoughts on what it could be? From the research I've done it could be many things:

- Coolant Temperature Sensor
- Intake Manifold (flaps, leak, etc; already replaced once under warranty @65k)
- Carbon buildup in the valves
- DSG Mechatronic (highly unlikely as this would get worse the warmer it got)
- A vacuum leak
- PCV or DV
- Throttle Body?
- MAF?

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Cold and before warm up? Sounds like carbon on the intake flaps, valves etc.
sucks that the coils and plugs didn't fix your issue.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Did you gap the new plugs? Have you changed gas stations, maybe got bad gas?

Horigan

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you gap the new plugs? Have you changed gas stations, maybe got bad gas?

Yes. And I was told by the dealer to stop using gas from random stations and only use Shell, so I've been using that.

I reset the ECU this morning by leaving the battery unplugged for 10 minutes. It seems to have fixed it for now, but it's not exactly as cold as it has been lately (39 compared to 20.) I'll test it in the morning and see.