GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for a car for my brother. MK4 VR6?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Hey all. So my brother, who is a genuine car enthusiast, is looking for a car to get through college with that is fun to drive, looks good, has tuning potential, and will teach him to be a better driver. It will basically be his DD for a while and we usually do some autoX'ing as well. He found a clean MK4 GLI w/ the VR6 with very low miles. I have never driven in a VR6 MK4 GLI so I don't know if that fits the bill but here are the positives in my eyes...

Pro's:
- Can look good with simple coilovers and wheels
- Not too flashy as he is a younger driver
- DAT VR6 MOTOR DOE
- With basic upgrades (Cat-back, UM tune) it'll make enough power to be pretty peppy but not enough to really get him in trouble
- Later on if he wants to expand the performance, those engines are EASY to turbocharge and love boost

Con's:
- I've heard they handle like absolute pigs
- It won't really teach him to become a better drive as far as dynamics go (But we do have a family Miata for that I guess)
- High school kids perspective of it might not be so great (until they hear the engine hehe)

SO anyways what do you guys think about them? Any other car suggestions around 6-10K that might fit his bill? I will post the autotrader link later after work. Cheers!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I had a vr6 gti for about 6 years. It was fun for the first few years, but once it got closer to 100k miles and 10 years old everything started to fall apart. I was spending more on repairs than I would if I had a new car with payments, so I woke up one day and traded it in as fast as I could.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Miatamiatamiatamiata

Hahaha that's what I would recommend too but he's in high school and we all remember how being cool in high school was a big deal. We have a NA weekend miata that he's free to use at anytime too. In this case the answer is not miata :) but in every other case it is lol

I had a vr6 gti for about 6 years. It was fun for the first few years, but once it got closer to 100k miles and 10 years old everything started to fall apart. I was spending more on repairs than I would if I had a new car with payments, so I woke up one day and traded it in as fast as I could.

I'm thinking in this case it might actually be a good thing to turn a wrench on his own car though just for the experience you know? I don't want the thing falling apart 24/7 but I'm thinking it might be a good learning experience if he has to replace things.

I miss my mk4 gti 12v so much. That car was a blast to drive with FBO.

Nice man, did you feel like it was enough power at the time? Basically could it beat a BRZ/FRS/Minivan?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Nice man, did you feel like it was enough power at the time? Basically could it beat a BRZ/FRS/Minivan?

It might. With 262 camshafts and the giac cam tune things like civic si's and acura rsx type s's couldn't beat me. They might beat me off the line, but once you get into the higher rpms/speeds they didn't have a chance. The vr6 would just pull stronger for longer.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion

It wasn't the fastest car on the road but oh so much fun. The vr6 has such a flat tq curve and the vr6 sound is sex to my ears especially with exhuast. The GIAC tune and light weight wheels woke it up a lot. I have to say that I am little biased as I much prefer N/A engine over turbos and the vr6 is my 2nd favorite engine behind the BMW S65.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
I've owned 12v VR6 Jetta, and it was great. The most important things to look for are to make sure the chains have been done around 150k. Also coil packs suck and always cracking.
Also IMO they aren't nose heavy w/ a strut brace and good suspension set up.
I think about going back a lot.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The most important things to look for are to make sure the chains have been done around 150k.

I thought I remember the recommendation being 120k. Mine didn't last that long. At 111k some of the teeth on the sprocket busted, but somehow there wasn't any extra damage. The chain held up but I think it did stretch a little. It drove a lot like it had a dead spark plug.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I've owned 12v VR6 Jetta, and it was great. The most important things to look for are to make sure the chains have been done around 150k. Also coil packs suck and always cracking.
Also IMO they aren't nose heavy w/ a strut brace and good suspension set up.
I think about going back a lot.

Chains and guides should be done closer to 100k

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'd recommend an 05 WRX, (Only 10 years old!)

- Within your price range.
- Lower the miles the better
- Tons of support and upgrade paths for this motor.
- AWD (can race in the snow lol)
- Looks pretty sick slammed
- boxer motor sounds amazing with a TBE.

If you can find an 06-07, that would be even better as that model has the 2.5L boxer engine. (Same pros as above.)

Last edited: