GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I'm running the rutheniums right now and they have been great. As far as knock retard or timing being pulled during WOT pulls, they are right on par with RS7 and Brisk Silver plugs. The brisk might be a LITTLE better in my experience so far. I am changing to NGK Race plugs today though based on Ed @ EQT recommendation for the tuning session he will be doing on my car. Not sure they will be any better than what's out there already though but fuck it... we'll see.

Apologies for pulling up this older post, but did you end up changing out to the NGK Races for the tuning process with EQT? Did your car seem to run any better vs the rutheniums? I really didn't want to go down the road, but I popped last night for a set of Races off FCP. EQT seems fairly adamant to use the NGKs. I didn't worry about it as much when I was tuning for E40 on the stock IS38 (stuck with ER12S), but now that I'm going to the Vortex I ended up caving to their recommendations. I'll hold on to the ER10S I got as back ups I guess, but now that I have that FCP lifetime deal probably doesn't make much sense

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Apologies for pulling up this older post, but did you end up changing out to the NGK Races for the tuning process with EQT? Did your car seem to run any better vs the rutheniums? I really didn't want to go down the road, but I popped last night for a set of Races off FCP. EQT seems fairly adamant to use the NGKs. I didn't worry about it as much when I was tuning for E40 on the stock IS38 (stuck with ER12S), but now that I'm going to the Vortex I ended up caving to their recommendations. I'll hold on to the ER10S I got as back ups I guess, but now that I have that FCP lifetime deal probably doesn't make much sense
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/long-term-spark-plug-thoughts.360676/post-7481422

Reactions: MSH

Navi

Autocross Champion

No it didn't run any better than rutheniums

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
A stock heat range plug like ruths *should* run better during cold starts, general driving, less misfires etc. A colder plug works better for big power applications in that it won't get as hot and reduce chance of pre-ignition, won't start to melt/boil etc. Everything is a tradeoff, but running a colder plug on a big power car that gets driven hard is the safer more conservative choice.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
would the gap size com into play with regards to hot weather?

I just tested out the rutheniums and gapped them all to .024, (Same as what I’ve been running on the Denso’s) I wouldn’t say cold started it cause the engine was still plenty warm and it was still like 98 outside, but start up wasn’t that strong, and on a test drive it’s was Knock retarding quite a bit more that with the IKH24s, With the meth spraying -(average was -4.10 on there the the Ruth’s VS 0 to.75 with the ikh24)
Also turned the car off for 5 min and when I stated it up it too about 5 seconds of cranking to turn over and E content is Low at E15

EDIT: regapped them to .28 the crank over was not delayed this time but it definitely was not a strong Turn over.

also logged the KR I was seeing and it’s only happening at part throttle 2800-3800 rpms, and wot during spool up before it make any boost.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
would the gap size com into play with regards to hot weather?

I just tested out the rutheniums and gapped them all to .024, (Same as what I’ve been running on the Denso’s) I wouldn’t say cold started it cause the engine was still plenty warm and it was still like 98 outside, but start up wasn’t that strong, and on a test drive it’s was Knock retarding quite a bit more that with the IKH24s, With the meth spraying -(average was -4.10 on there the the Ruth’s VS 0 to.75 with the ikh24)
Also turned the car off for 5 min and when I stated it up it too about 5 seconds of cranking to turn over and E content is Low at E15

EDIT: regapped them to .28 the crank over was not delayed this time but it definitely was not a strong Turn over.

also logged the KR I was seeing and it’s only happening at part throttle 2800-3800 rpms, and wot during spool up before it make any boost.

No issues with cranking for me in the hot or cold.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm not sure how many people are running WMI with the ruths though. But I can't imagine it being an issue.
Did an actual cold start today with them at .028. Real strong Turnover and start up stronger then it’s ever been with the denso’s but the warm start still is weak

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
how I feel about all this spark plug, cold start, warm start talk
Untitled.png

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm still seeing 4-4.5bar of fuel up top at 28-29psi with my duty capped at 80%. Where are you guys drawing the line?

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/2x60-100-ambient-82f?log=0&data=1-4-13

Also, looks like you lost a bit of spool?

Took it to the strip and car definately needs a pm4 or lower boost or ethanol. Was getting rail pressure drops so losing power up top. It was hot as hell and could only muster a best 11.0 with really crappy traps. I'm going to lower ethanol content to like e60 and try again with the weather hopefully being not as hot.

Back on topic, I wasn't getting any missfires with the Ruths at the drag strip.