GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
When you say that, do you mean misfire CEL/ codes or do you mean logging misfires per cylinder and seeing zero’s across the board?

Sorry, yeah I meant to say I didn't get a cel/EPC for missfires during the runs. I didn't actually monitor for missfires though.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Took it to the strip and car definately needs a pm4 or lower boost or ethanol. Was getting rail pressure drops so losing power up top. It was hot as hell and could only muster a best 11.0 with really crappy traps. I'm going to lower ethanol content to like e60 and try again with the weather hopefully being not as hot.

Back on topic, I wasn't getting any missfires with the Ruths at the drag strip.
You sure you didn’t accidentally get an ihx600? :unsure::p

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I didn't actually monitor for missfires though.
That seems like a fools errand anyway. I've always had a few misfires across all four cylinders when looking at live data no matter what plugs and gap I'm using. Never caused a CEL or code for them and the car is too low in milage to have carbon issues. I've learned to just put away OBDEleven and drive the car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, just bought a set of Rutheniums from Rock Auto - always fun to try new plugs. Have run stockers, Denso IKH24s, and NGK "RS7" in my IS20 and now IS38 Sportwagen without much drama beyond more frequent changeouts. Current winner for me has been the RS7. I run the APR coil packs but have run "RS3" and stock of course.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ok, just bought a set of Rutheniums from Rock Auto - always fun to try new plugs. Have run stockers, Denso IKH24s, and NGK "RS7" in my IS20 and now IS38 Sportwagen without much drama beyond more frequent changeouts. Current winner for me has been the RS7. I run the APR coil packs but have run "RS3" and stock of course.

Are you going to regap them?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Are you going to regap them?
I'll measure - should be 0.028 and if so, will roll with them at that gap if they are 0.030+ I will regap. Currently run the RS7s as they come which is 0.026.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Anyone running the Ruths with 500+whp?
I have them in a stg. 3 car on 93 measured at 0.028, running great now but that car is only 400hp..

Can the Ruths handle a big hybrid running E85 doing occasional highway pulls and 1/4 mile runs?
Has anyone had these get too hot and fail?

Oh and FYI, carid.com has them for $8.16/ea:

https://www.carid.com/ngk/hx-ruthenium-spark-plug-mpn-95125.html?singleid=3445971990
No. Get a 2-step colder plug for an upgraded turbo on e85.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
No. Get a 2-step colder plug for an upgraded turbo on e85.
That's what I thought.
Might try the non projected tip Brisk ER10S and see how they do.
Plug life isn't a concern at all.
It's not hard to check the plugs often

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's what I thought.
Might try the non projected tip Brisk ER10S and see how they do.
Plug life isn't a concern at all.
It's not hard to check the plugs often
You will need to check them often because a 2 step colder plug needs to burn hot enough and that isn't likely going to happen on a street driven car. Race car yes.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
You will need to check them often because a 2 step colder plug needs to burn hot enough and that isn't likely going to happen on a street driven car. Race car yes.
Yeah, it's not a daily.
Only gets driven occasionally, mostly drag or short hwy pulls. Nothing with sustained load like autocross.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
NGK RS7s out. Rutheniums in. So far runs great.