GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lemon Law... I need some help with this

Gabster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
well my car has been to the service department let see 1, 2, 3, 4 but 5 times for warped rotors, fuel pump, cam lobe issues and misfires on cylinders 2 & 3. :thumbdown:
Under warranty the dealer has given me new coil packs (D) and spark plugs and the misfires still occur on both stock mode and chipped. The dealer has also given me a new cam lobe and high pressure fuel pump and guess what i still get the fuel cuts on both STOCK MODE and CHIPPED...
Im pretty much just tired of hearing people telling me its my software, but its not cause these problems still occur under STOCK MODE.Im starting to think its a bad motor, but who knows so i was up last night thinking of LEMON LAW my car any thoughts, comments or ideas on this will be much appreciated :biggrin:

alexice1421

Banned
Car(s)
GTI 2.0T
yea i had the same issues...i had misfires on 2 & 3....i had air flow sensor codes...my newest code is fuel trim is too lean...lol...all i have is an intake...im starting to hate my vdub...i don't kno wat 2 do...just drivin it is horrible...it goes into a mode where i get almost no boost...as if i have a leak or somethin....if anybody knows anythin bout the lemon law let us both know

Speeddemon96

Go Kart Champion
yea i had the same issues...i had misfires on 2 & 3....i had air flow sensor codes...my newest code is fuel trim is too lean...lol...all i have is an intake...im starting to hate my vdub...i don't kno wat 2 do...just drivin it is horrible...it goes into a mode where i get almost no boost...as if i have a leak or somethin....if anybody knows anythin bout the lemon law let us both know

wow u have an '08 and are having problems already? how many miles do you have? I would blame the stock plugs for the mis-fires too! I heard a lot of people that went from stock plugs to NGK Iridiums and most of those problems went away! unless of course it was the coil packs!

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Your ECU is chipped. Once they find this out you will be in for a VERY large bill. If vw has to come down (which they probably will if a lemon law issue is at stake) they will probably find out its chipped and they did work on the car, ALL THOSE REPAIRS will be void from warranty and you are the one gettin screwed. Imagine the bill if they have to buy the car back? you pay for your car twice! Stock mode is not stock, its the chips version of stock.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Do some research before you start throwing around LL. For one, your car will have to have been to the dealer 3 or 4 times (depending on state) for the SAME problem, going back for fuel cuts once, misfires another time, etc. doesn't necesarily count. Or it generally has to be out of service for at least 30 days during the first year or 18k miles. And be aware that your performance software may throw a wrench into things. I think nitroscope8 is exaggerating a bit, but since the ECU controls just about everything, VW could have a case there.

Do some thorough research for the LL in your state. If you still think you have a case, contact a lawyer that specializes in LL.

maypo59

Passed Driver's Ed
In my experience, to get a LL buy-back it has to go in multiple times for the same problem, without satisfactory resolution of the problem. My Honda Pilot went back 5 times for a front end that would not stay in alighnment and ate tires like you would not belive, 4 front rights in 11,000 miles. They coudn't fix it, so they ended up haveing to buy it back. BUT, I had to jump through some hoops at my end to make sure all the "t's" were crossed and "i's" dotted. As far as the fact that you are chipped... doubt that will go well... and I agree, that switching to "stock" mode is most probably NOT switching you back to the original VW programming for your car.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
if you are serious about lemon law, then you really need to read up on it, and perhaps seek legal council because of your performance mod. don't forget that laws vary from state to state.

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
i didnt even know there was a lemon law :iono: wow that sucks tho man.. i hope you get taken care of

Speeddemon96

Go Kart Champion
isn't there a way to put back the original software back to the ecu? can you like reformat the ecu? like erase everything and put it back the same way it came?

Gabster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
i know im chipped but chris green from USP is gonna witch me back to stock later this week..
i went in to the dealer 4 times for misfires and they changed coil packs and spark plugs and still nothing even in stock mode :[
im gonna do some research before i throw them the LL but im definitely going for it...
thank you all for your fast replies

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
dont mention LL to dealer beforehand or else they will lock up. tt your lawyer first before crying LL. And if youre going to get reflashed back to stock, i would have the dealer do that so they can completely reflash the ECU instead of having your tuner do it due to ive heard from multiple people that the evidence of the flash will still be in your ECU.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
08 Lexus ISF
Contact VWoA they will do whatever it takes to ensure you're happy. Even if you file a Lemon Law, they will do a buyback and then put you in a different car.

The only thing is you will have to pay for the difference in mileage.

@ Gabster: As others have stated, you will need to ask someone at the dealership to reflash your ECU, don't get the tuner to do so, they will not be able to replicate the exact settings. From my understanding they can only mimic the stock programmings of a car.

In addition did they have to charge the coil packs 4 times, or did they just do that one. If they simply did it once then it's not going to honor the car being lemoned.

@Alexice: How many miles do you have on your car ?

@Both: Lemon Laws are to be used to prove that your vehicle which is supposed to be completely stock is unfit to drive and is not only a danger to yourself, but a danger to others on the road. The fact that you have to frequently go there to get minor stuff fixed will not honor a lemon law.

jamdub

Black Holer
Car(s)
07 gti
Disclaimer:

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice:

The Lemon Law in Florida requires that your car be taken in three times for the same problem. You will need a work order in your possession for the three times for the same problem. If you have had the same work performed three times and are still continuing to have issues, contact an attorney and speak to him or her regarding this, being sure to bring your three work orders and a copy of your warranty with you. The attorney, if they are worth their salt, will do your consultation for free (don't go to an attorney who won't), speak to them and move on from there. Also, be sure to speak with them regarding the fact that your car is chipped as that might cause some problems. Be aware also that your warranty includes an arbitration clause, which means that you will go to an arbitration panel instead of a judge and/or jury.

I hope you manage to get your problems sorted out.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
As others have stated, you will need to ask someone at the dealership to reflash your ECU, don't get the tuner to do so, they will not be able to replicate the exact settings. From my understanding they can only mimic the stock programmings of a car.

THat's not completely true. When you're using performance softare, the stock setting you switch back and forth from is just an approximation of stock. However, APR & REVO dealers (& probably GIAC & UNI) are able to reflash over the performance software with a true VW stock code. It may not be the same one your car came from the factory with, but it will be a 100% OEM VW code.

The problem with going to your VW dealer for this is you can't exactly just ask for a reflash. There are very few reasons why they do that to begin with, and a customer request generally isn't one of them. If you do ask for it, you may as well just come out and say I WANT YOU TO FLASH OVER MY APR SOFTWARE. They're not as dumb as some of you think.