GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Killing a DV

SevenW

Ready to race!
Not that I've killed my DV, but for all who have here.
What type of driving does make a DV give out easiest?

Now I hear a lot of people chime in about how chipping is a garaunteed DV killer, but that's fine I understand the extra boost but if you drive like a granny will it still cause the DV to break?

Hence is it constant on throttle and off throttle inputs that will kill it, long periods of constant speed? Or do they just give out at any time they feel like giving out?:bow:

Cheers

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
usually constant wear.

mine gave out after a mishift to 3rd from 4th instead to 5th when i was on the track coming out of a turn.

luckily it couldve been ALOT worse.

A lost of people that do this usually have to replace the head do to bumpin valves and overrevving.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Not that I've killed my DV, but for all who have here.
What type of driving does make a DV give out easiest?

Now I hear a lot of people chime in about how chipping is a garaunteed DV killer, but that's fine I understand the extra boost but if you drive like a granny will it still cause the DV to break?

Quite a debatable topic as it does not seem to have any particular pattern.
Not all chipped drivers have DV problems and even some stock drivers do to.

IMO (and note this may vary somewhat from others) I think manual drivers are more likely to have DV problems due to variable control over the clutch (e.g. hard on throttle and gear change makes for funny boost spikes or drivetrain loads). DSG is smoother in that respect (again IMO).

Certainly hard on/off throttle is likely to stress the DV more (think full flex, relax, full flex, relax, etc). Again IMO...

Also IMO chips like Bluefin are less prone as the max boost reached is lower. There are however Bluefin owners who have had DV failures also.

In short - drive the way you want because you never can tell when it's going to go...