GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Turbo upgrade HELP NEEDED

chinovegas

I have a 2009 GTI with a CCTA 220hp engine. I am looking to upgrade to a K04 turbo and notice there is a K04-64 Turbo as well as a K04 F23T Turbo. Can someone explain the difference in these and let me know which one I need?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Is the aftermarket "Frankenturbo" as reliable as the Borg Warner K04-64? Do both of these require the same modifications for install (DV relocation, etc.)?

f23t is a K04-64 on the outside. It has been modified internally. Flows a bit more. Mechanical part of install and fitting would be same for either. Personally I prefer the K04 just because it hasn't been modified and is a factory stock part. Having said that, folks have made great power with the f23t as it can flow a bit more. I ran a K04 on my car for the last 4 years, ran fantastic.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
K04 has more local tuning opportunities for customers...F23T requires different tune, so check what's available for it and you. I have a K04, but I still consider and study what tuning would be available for myself should I switch to another turbo type at the time this K04 is done working. Looking at a smaller EFR and need to find a reliable tune for possibility - BW EFR 6758. Going to start by contacting GIAC. The 6758 I found has an exhaust mani and oem exhaust mounting plate...so, no need to convert my aftermarket-DP to a v-band.

Last edited:

chinovegas

Just a few more questions. Do I need a DV relocation kit for the K04-64 turbo? Will the OEM lines bolt up to it? Can I run it with the factory intercooler? Thanks for the support you guys are a big help.

tedted

if you use an APR version K04 then you will have the same factory location with the DV on the turbo. Ive seen other K04's that have the DV location welded closed. All the lines are a direct fit and yes you are forced to run the stock IC but you should at least add a twintercooler set up.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
"Forced to run the stock IC"... ? ...not sure this bit is entirely true. I run an S3 IC in stock location w/Forge FMTwinterC. I know others have run other aftermarket intercoolers without the stock IC...and there are some that bolt into place where the stock IC goes.

Most K04's available will require a DV relocate. AWE has one...I have it and been flawless for 7 years...plus, not too costly: http://www.awe-tuning.com/fsi-diverter-valve-kits
Just not sure on Passat fitment, so...look into that.