GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 questions and opinions

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
socalhatch;375 1808 said:
Ok was just wondering and I just replaced mine. I was advised not to take off the cover were your screw is missing, that's were mine was leaking so I had to buy a new one.

Where did you get a new one from

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
So here's an update... I'm still waiting to install the k04... Mainly to make sure car is playing well with s2+, and this far, the biggest issue I've had is misfires.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
So my misfires were solved, it was bad coils.

Right now, I'm trying to reorganize my k04 list. I have the turbo, was waiting to solve misfires before install, now wanting to do some maintenance. And then I read hyde16s review of SoCalPorting, and I'm gonna send off my turbo for port&polish, gasket match, and thermal coat. Maybe upgrade compressor wheel? Idk.

Anyways, here my list, need some sensible minds to help solidify it, and maybe add to it. TIA!

-timing belt, water pump, thermostat, coolant flush
- coils (again. [emoji35])
- MAF Sensor
- there was others but can't remember right now, twins are being crazy.
- want to do something better with PCV

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Right now, I'm trying to reorganize my k04 list. I have the turbo, was waiting to solve misfires before install, now wanting to do some maintenance. And then I read hyde16s review of SoCalPorting, and I'm gonna send off my turbo for port&polish, gasket match, and thermal coat. Maybe upgrade compressor wheel? Idk.

Anyways, here my list, need some sensible minds to help solidify it, and maybe add to it. TIA!

- MAF Sensor

How many miles on your motor, what is your current list of mods including suspension, brakes and performance mods.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
About 7 miles short of 81,000 miles.
Mods:
APR RSC TBE (200 cell car)
42DD o2 spacer
EVOMS CAI
Forge twintercooler
APR HPFP
BSH block-off plate
BSH boost tap
Awe boost gauge
Driver Motorsport stage 2+

Drilled and slotted rotors
Hawk street pads
SS lines
DOT4+ fluid
H&R coilovers
Rev. G Diverter valve

Parts to install with k04
RS4 PRV
Golf R map sensor
Cam follower
Misc boost piping.
k04 install kit (studs, bolts, etc. )
Awe DV relocate

Might be more can't remember.
DSG serviced at 65k miles.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

- MAF Sensor

Personally, I would not spend the money to alter the K04 as you have described. It is best to use it as is since that is how the tuners are creating the tunes (personal opinion and experience). Stay mainstream and keep it simple.

Given the mileage here are the things I would do for best K04 experience:
1. Replace all the vacuum lines that have not been recently replaced.
2. Get valves cleaned professionally (walnut blast) de-carbonize.
3. Inspect and replace coolant hoses as necessary
4. Flush coolant system and replace (get ready for summer)
5. Replace Low Pressure fuel pump
6. Install 034 street density motor/trans mounts (you will need these)
7. PTP Turbo blanket - keeps heat down underhood which is a good thing
8. New MAF sensor - (if you have problems with it) quick and easy to replace.
9. Getting the 100K mi service out of the way is probably a good idea belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat etc.
10. Get car up in the air and look for leaks and get them all taken care of as they will only get worse when you put the motor under greater stress.
11. Test your battery and replace if getting weak.
12. You don't mention water meth but I seem to recall you may have a kit to install. Definately put this in and get the DM tune that takes advantage of it.

You are going to really like the difference between 2+ and K04 with water meth - it is like getting a whole new car.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Yeah, have water meth, but want to make sure all is well with the k04 before adding that to the equation as well.
As for the k04, I don't see any reason that cleaning up the turbo would significantly impact the tune? All it would do is smooth air flow/ raise efficiency of the turbo?
And some of the items you listed I was thinking about, but couldn't remember last night.
Like clean the carbon, mounts, turbo blanket-(think that will go well with thermal coat) , also want a TCU tune.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah, have water meth, but want to make sure all is well with the k04 before adding that to the equation as well.
As for the k04, I don't see any reason that cleaning up the turbo would significantly impact the tune? All it would do is smooth air flow/ raise efficiency of the turbo?
And some of the items you listed I was thinking about, but couldn't remember last night.
Like clean the carbon, mounts, turbo blanket-(think that will go well with thermal coat) , also want a TCU tune.

Certainly do what you feel is best, you asked for suggestions so those are the things I did and it has all worked quite well for me.

You will want a TCU tune prior or at the same time as the K04. Again, just speaking from personal experience.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Certainly do what you feel is best, you asked for suggestions so those are the things I did and it has all worked quite well for me.

You will want a TCU tune prior or at the same time as the K04. Again, just speaking from personal experience.

Yeah absolutely, and I appreciate the input. [emoji106]
But yes. Definitely waiting for the tune. And I actually want to mirror your water/meth setup, it seems to work so well for you.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
When I read all that you were going to do with the turbo...my jaw dropped and I thought "WTF for?". I too would just mount the turbo as is and put funds elsewhere in order to keep it up properly.