GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 or not?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Get yourself some RMI-25 for that water pump/radiator. This stuff sounds too good to be true but we've been using it in all my family's cars for the past 15 years and have never had to replace a water pump or radiator since then. And it's cheap, 30 bucks for a quart which is enough to last for several years.

Oooooh, boy. Be careful doing this.........G12 coolant does NOT play nice with other coolants and additives. You could easily end up with a sludged-up, clogged cooling system that then requires major work to fix.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Oooooh, boy. Be careful doing this.........G12 coolant does NOT play nice with other coolants and additives. You could easily end up with a sludged-up, clogged cooling system that then requires major work to fix.
It is compatible with G12 - Ive used it for 10 years in my MK6 GTI and for 6 years in my M4 Gti and have never had a cooling system issue in either car.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Get yourself some RMI-25 for that water pump/radiator. This stuff sounds too good to be true but we've been using it in all my family's cars for the past 15 years and have never had to replace a water pump or radiator since then. And it's cheap, 30 bucks for a quart which is enough to last for several years.

https://www.rmi25.com/

https://www.amazon.com/RMI-25-Cooli...8VHE6B0RPK9&psc=1&refRID=WVQASS9MP8VHE6B0RPK9
Set aside about 10K for the project of K04 and refresh. There is a good chance you can get it done for less but you should be prepared. Going K04 on an otherwise stock car is about 4-5K if you have nothing. On a TSI motor you would want:
K04 kit 1600
K04 tune 800
Upgraded intercooler 900
Upgraded intake 300
Upgraded Turbo Pipes (2) 450
3in turboback exhaust - 900
So you have about 5K minus any parts you already have

Accessory belt kit - 150
Cooling system refresh kit - 150
Timing Chain Kit - 500
Gaskets / Seals - 300
Rod bearing set - 200
Rings - 200
APR Valve Springs and retainers - 600
And another 2100 here (probably don't need connecting rods with TSI motor)

So we are about 7K in parts here and figure rest in labor unless you do your own work.

Note- on a car of that mileage you may discover other issues as it is being worked on ...... so be prepared for the unexpected.
This is all good advice, but I just want to note that in regards to the upgrades you can get away with less. With the exhaust the stock cat-back flows well enough and you can gut the pre-cat for free. If you aren’t doing track events or live in a super hot climate an aftermarket brand stock Golf R intercooler is $150 (I think). Intakes can be had used for $100 to $150 used, there’s almost always one listed in the for sale forum.

Going cheap will leave some power on the table, but it’ll still be a big jump in horsepower and you’ll have shaved a couple thousand off the bill.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Not according to VW.
Do you have a link to this information, Id lke to read it? because like I said ive been using it with G12 for 15 plus years and never had an issue.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Your anecdotal evidence and impressive sample size not withstanding, I think I'll side with VW engineers on this one and stick with just using the required G12 with no snake oil additives.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
VW is going to say that to cover their ass. Of course you are only suppose to use VW approved fluids.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
VW is going to say that to cover their ass. Of course you are only suppose to use VW approved fluids.
Lol ok try putting some green stuff in there see how it works out

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
This is all good advice, but I just want to note that in regards to the upgrades you can get away with less. With the exhaust the stock cat-back flows well enough and you can gut the pre-cat for free. If you aren’t doing track events or live in a super hot climate an aftermarket brand stock Golf R intercooler is $150 (I think). Intakes can be had used for $100 to $150 used, there’s almost always one listed in the for sale forum.

Going cheap will leave some power on the table, but it’ll still be a big jump in horsepower and you’ll have shaved a couple thousand off the bill.
Thanks. Intercooler was last thing I had to research.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Not saying it's not a bad rule to follow, just not the end all be all IMO.
Ok, so you are aware that mixing vw pink coolant with green auto zone will cause a chemical reaction resulting in sludge forming that will destroy your coolant system and possibly your engine...

So how is it not the end all be all rule exactly?

Why would you risk adding random shit in there when you already know it doesn't react well with other coolants

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT THE SECRET ADDITIVE RADIATOR AND WATER PUMP COMPANIES DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW!!

Its hog wash.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ok, so you are aware that mixing vw pink coolant with green auto zone will cause a chemical reaction resulting in sludge forming that will destroy your coolant system and possibly your engine...

So how is it not the end all be all rule exactly?

Why would you risk adding random shit in there when you already know it doesn't react well with other coolants

We know green coolant does that so we don’t mix them. Does that mean all things we mix with the coolant will do that? Obviously EJ has used it and it didn’t do that. Is one persons experience with it enough to convince me? No. I don’t like using miracle additives either but that’s not to say they will cause catastrophic engine problems because it’s not VW approved.