GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got an 08 GTI

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Hey all, new here, just bought my first VW, GTI 08, with 60k on the clock. Very happy so far.
Like I said, I'm new with VWs, so I've been reading ALOT to learn as much as possible... Any wisdom that anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
FSI or TSI? If it's FSI, check the cam follower. They're notorious on the FSIs, also, get ready for your timing belt change here in a few thousand miles.

Business out of the way, welcome to VW world!

As far as upgrades go, most people generally recommend an ECU Flash (Revo, APR, DM, etc...) and suspension upgrades first! There's a wealth of info on this forum, and a good majority of any questions can be answered with a quick search. Again, welcome!

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Been doing a lot of reading on that... FSI/tsi/tfsi.... All I can say for now is engine cover says FSI turbo. Haven't read engine codes yet or anything, but assuming it's the EA113. From other pics I've seen, it matches.

And how does one check the cam follower? And what would I be looking for?
What I'd really like to find is shop manual....

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
And actually, it's going back tomorrow, I noticed it's starting to 'slip'. (DSG)
Like in first gear (in D, S or tiptronic) it lugs a little before actually moving. Like someone driving a regular manual car and doesn't actually know how to drive. Not quite like clutch dumping, but.... Like I said slipping is the best verbage I could think of...
Talked to dealer they said they think the DSG fluid and filter need to be changed....
Any opinions on here?

goneD4rk

Banned
Hey all, new here, just bought my first VW, GTI 08, with 60k on the clock. Very happy so far.
Like I said, I'm new with VWs, so I've been reading ALOT to learn as much as possible... Any wisdom that anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

welcome to one of the most loved driver's cars ever produced. Stay on top of a few common imperfections and this car can be very reliable.

what made you choose the rabbid among many other similar cars?

What kind of cars do you come from? :threadjacked:

Omoitsurugi

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, I'm also new. I'm also reading up and still learning as well. Hoping to also pick up a shop manual, mines an '09 GTI, which makes it a TSI. Anyways WELCOME! and about the DSG, I don't know. I know if you're on a hill the DSG has "hill assist," which keeps the car steady on a 5% or more grade, aka keeps the brake applied while the transmission get traction. But I don't know what the symptoms are yet of bad DSG fluid.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I've liked the gtis since I saw one in San Diego in 2010, and ive been hooked. I come from the world of trucks and over-the-pacific imports.... But decided I like quality!
I've got a lot of experience in vehicle mechanics, I'm not the best on interior stuff... I get frustrated with it. But as for the actual mechanical part... I've rebuilt engines, swapped trannys, transfer cases.... All that...
But that's why I want a shop manual, so I can get some more info it..

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to Golfmk5!

ECS recommends checking your cam follower:

- Every 5-10k miles on highly modified cars
- Every 20-30k miles on stock cars

For our install PDF please click - Here

For more information and kits please click - Here

Andy

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Welcome to the addiction. Definitely get the DSG fluid changed. Go stage 1 and drive the crap out of it!

goneD4rk

Banned
I've liked the gtis since I saw one in San Diego in 2010, and ive been hooked. I come from the world of trucks and over-the-pacific imports.... But decided I like quality!
I've got a lot of experience in vehicle mechanics, I'm not the best on interior stuff... I get frustrated with it. But as for the actual mechanical part... I've rebuilt engines, swapped trannys, transfer cases.... All that...
But that's why I want a shop manual, so I can get some more info it..

for me it was mk4 vr6 and 14 yrs later I have mk5 fsi :happyanim:

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I noticed it's starting to 'slip'. (DSG)
Like in first gear (in D, S or tiptronic) it lugs a little before actually moving.

I've got an '08 also. 73K on the clock. I have the same issue with the DSG. It lags a bit in 1st and reverse, especially in reverse. Takes a second to respond before it moves from a stop. I just brought it in to have it looked at a few days ago. They ran a scan on it and did a thorough check on everything and found nothing wrong. They recommended a flush of the transmission fluid, which I'm going to do soon. I'd be interested to hear how yours turns out after they replace the fluid.

Also, definitely follow the advice on here and get the cam follower checked. Mine was replaced last week and was on its last leg.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Well thanks for all the love! It's at the shop now... Gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon.
ECS if I pull apart the hpfp to check the follower will I need a kit to put it back together even if my follower is still good? I guess what I'm asking is if I pull it apart and nothing needs to be changed (doubtful) will I need new seals or can I just put it back together?

Zrickety- I plan on going Stage one, with intake exhaust and tune. And then add on some coil overs would do some justice... Already have the entertainment system planned out.... Double din with 2x 12 solobarics... And then I'll be happy... For a little bit

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Absolutely... Gonna check the follower just as soon as it's out of the dealers shop and into my own. More than likely gonna order that set now, so I can have even if it mine doesn't need it right now. From the sounds of things, I'll need it eventually

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Yay! Good news all. Came to the dealership early. Got to watch them change the DSG fluid and filter. (Good learning experience) then I asked, since everything was already off, if we could check the cam follower. It's good! Looks like it was replaced recently.

goneD4rk

Banned
Yay! Good news all. Came to the dealership early. Got to watch them change the DSG fluid and filter. (Good learning experience) then I asked, since everything was already off, if we could check the cam follower. It's good! Looks like it was replaced recently.

:smile: another reliable car:wub: back on the street