GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just bought a MK5

El0451

Hi I'm new to the forum, I just bought a 2008 gti DSG. It's 4dr, candy white with 77,000 miles. I bought it for $13,700 out the door from a dealer. It had a pretty clean carfax no accidents and it test drove well. I'm taking it to a mechanic this weekend to check on the timing belt etc. I hope I got a good deal??? the car puts a smile on face every time I drive. I hope I can keep drive it up to at least 200,000 miles.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The car puts a smile on face every time I drive. I hope I can keep drive it up to at least 200,000 miles.

This. I feel the same way when I drive my car and I've owned it for six years now. That feeling doesn't go away. And even if it does, throw a mod at it every once and a while and the excitement returns. My goal is also 200k miles (currently sitting at 128k).

Congrats :thumbsup:

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I'm taking it to a mechanic this weekend to check on the timing belt etc. I hope I got a good deal??? the car puts a smile on face every time I drive. I hope I can keep drive it up to at least 200,000 miles.

:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of useful information and resources on here. Do you have the FSI or TSI engine? If it's an FSI have your mechanic check the cam follower when you're there. It's a known issue with the FSI, but as long as you keep after it, it will be fine.

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Hi I'm new to the forum, I just bought a 2008 gti DSG. It's 4dr, candy white with 77,000 miles. I bought it for $13,700 out the door from a dealer. It had a pretty clean carfax no accidents and it test drove well. I'm taking it to a mechanic this weekend to check on the timing belt etc. I hope I got a good deal??? the car puts a smile on face every time I drive. I hope I can keep drive it up to at least 200,000 miles.

Its not a bad deal considering its a clean car fax and you said its pretty clean. I just recently bought an 09 GTI Manual 2 Door with 50k Miles for 9,000$ but its rebuilt title, but also very clean.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Congrats. Doesn't sound like a bad price from a dealer. I would take it to a VW dealer and have them run the VIN. They will need to see the car to make sure you're the owner now. They will be able to tell you all of the warranty work done on it, if it has the latest recalls/program fixes. You can let them do a scan and see if it will pass safety/emissions inspections. Sure, it will cost you a couple of hundred but at least they'll tell you every little thing but at least you'll know where you stand.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Welcome to the group! Hope you enjoy it here. Candy white is the best color (but I'm a little biased LOL).

spiritedriver

Congrats. I too just bought one in Feb for 11,000 from a dealer. It only had 72,000 miles on it so I was skeptical also. Couldn't see why anyone would sell this baby with low mileage. I took her to a VW dealer and they looked her over and she only needed a few things but it just so happened that the dealer I bought it from gave me limited warranty for about 3 months so they covered everything and even though an alignment was not in the warranty they even covered half of that. She also puts a smile on my face when I see and get in. I was so bummed that I had to go to work or even sleep I wanted to drive her so much. I feel in love with her when I first saw her plus she's a 6spd and I have been trying to get back to a manual for a long time.
View attachment 95542View attachment 95543

Zach L

VR junkie
Without proof that timing belt was done, plan on doing it sometime between 80-100k miles. No rush.

What is more important is checking the cam follower. 2008 was the only year they made the GTI with both the FSI and TSI engines. The FSI has the $50 cam follower that needs to be replaced periodically. On a stock engine this part should be replaced every 35-40k miles.

These cars can be very reliable if maintenance is kept up with. My FSI has over 190,000 miles with no issues.

El0451

Nice thanks for all the feedback everyone, just got back from the service inspection and everything looks good!! Just a small leak in a valve cover and when they hooked it up to the computer it had a error code p2711 but he said he thinks nothing is wrong with the transmission so he said if the error shows up again after a couple of months of driving he will look into it? Cheers again everybody, I'll get some pics up soon

Zach L

VR junkie
Hardly any shop or dealership will check the cam follower. It's a very unique part to the FSI engine and not replacing it can cause very expensive damage. Use the search on this site to find more info and how to check it yourself for wear. It only takes about 10 minutes but it's imperative you do this. Again, search for threads on this topic, read them and make sure you are knowledgeable about the cam follower.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
^^This!!^^

On the FSI, well WELL worth the minimal effort to check/replace this part periodically cause it is definitely known to wear and cause significant damage when it does.

Ich_Will

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI
Easy to check/change...can't stress enough how important it is. Let mine go a little too long... I get my car back on Thursday but it isn't going to be cheap.