GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it worth going a bigger turbo @ 121k

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
What are your thoughts, or has anyone experience with this.

A little background I spent a while building up to a K04 or gt28. A list of mods include s3/forge intercoolers, EJ DV reroute, EJ TB PIPE, EJ discharge pipe, 42DD CC, APR HPFP and VWR intake.

I had some funds saved up but I had to spend it on replacing my cam and HPFP since VW didn't cover the 08 FSI on the extended warranty..

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I suppose running a compression/ leak down test is the best way to answer this question . Assuming everything is in good order, have at it!

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Thanks I'll look into that, she runs great! I think the K03 is on it's way out. :thumbsup:

Mine shat the bed at around 105k miles, after lots of abuse and having been running tunes for ~80k of its service life...that's when I went K04!

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Yes. No reason a decently maintained FSI won't be up to the task at 121k miles.You can do a compression test but I'd be seriously surprised if you found anything less than normal. With modern oil and engines 120k is nothing to the long block. If the stuff around the long block isn't falling apart do it. I stayed stock for 20k miles, stage 1 for 80k miles, stage 2 for 5k miles, stage 2+ for 20k miles and turbo upgrade at 125k miles. While I had turbo issues never had engine issues (lack of power, blow by, low compression, smoke etc).

PureDope

Ready to race!
I'd say do it. I went f23t around 80k. Running well. I don't see any reason that it'll shit the bed any time soon. Unless of course my cam chain/tensioner breaks. That seems to be a common theme around here.

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
Yes. No reason a decently maintained FSI won't be up to the task at 121k miles.You can do a compression test but I'd be seriously surprised if you found anything less than normal. With modern oil and engines 120k is nothing to the long block. If the stuff around the long block isn't falling apart do it. I stayed stock for 20k miles, stage 1 for 80k miles, stage 2 for 5k miles, stage 2+ for 20k miles and turbo upgrade at 125k miles. While I had turbo issues never had engine issues (lack of power, blow by, low compression, smoke etc).

Thank for the feed back, she's been well maintained! It's good to see that you guys are sticking with the MKV's it gives me more confidence! :thumbsup:

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
I'd say do it. I went f23t around 80k. Running well. I don't see any reason that it'll shit the bed any time soon. Unless of course my cam chain/tensioner breaks. That seems to be a common theme around here.

Damn faulty cam follower! She has a new cam it was replaced 4k ago..

I've been seriously eyeing up the F23t. I've seen where people used stock injectors and made decent power and you can't beat the price either!! I was also reading up in tunes for it and maybe, just maybe Uni will be producing a tune for it. What tune are you using for it?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Most people use DM for F23T tunes. These turbos aren't set up from the factory consistently enough to be able to run "off the shelf" tunes like Uni or APR, you need a tuner that can read your logs and then tweak the tune to work with turbos that have inconsistent characteristics from one to the next. It seems to be a result of waste gate actuator settings varying all over the place. The turbos themselves are good, but expect having to do a little work to get everything running right.

PureDope

Ready to race!
I use Eurodyne. I think if preload was set to 8psi on all of these then an OTS tune would be fine. But there's already options such as above, or DM. Either will work fine.

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
Most people use DM for F23T tunes. These turbos aren't set up from the factory consistently enough to be able to run "off the shelf" tunes like Uni or APR, you need a tuner that can read your logs and then tweak the tune to work with turbos that have inconsistent characteristics from one to the next. It seems to be a result of waste gate actuator settings varying all over the place. The turbos themselves are good, but expect having to do a little work to get everything running right.

They are bad ass turbos, I think I'll stick with a K04 it's easy breezy. And I can upgrade my tune as well. Thanks man

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
I use Eurodyne. I think if preload was set to 8psi on all of these then an OTS tune would be fine. But there's already options such as above, or DM. Either will work fine.

Haha I can't comprehend that software! Ya have to be pretty knowledgeable to dial the tune in from what I understand. So for that I give you a huge thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Spectre

Ready to race!
Yet another person scared of miles on an engine? Interesting.

I'm going to start a new service. I will gladly take everyone's car that has over 150K miles on it since it seems like so many people figure their worthless at that point.

Nah, OP, you're straight. You just want to make sure your shit doesn't grenade as soon as the extra boost starts flowing. That's cool. I guess. I say have at it too.