GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is an APR flash worth it?

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I got the Unitronic ECU/DSG combo. I could tell that the ride is a lot smoother and quicker. I went with them since they have a dealer in my location. But I was impressed with the tune. Sometimes they have combo deals if you do both at the same time.

It looks like there is a place is Akron. I think they have a 2 week test trial. So if you do not like it or any other issues, they can revert it back to original tune specs.

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/dealers

I am not promoting anything. Just my experience. I would have went with UM if I was in the US after talking to Zev. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

bonix

Ready to race!
Whelp, just ordered the UM combo flash. They are going to ship out a loaner laptop to me tomorrow and I'll be able to do it myself in 20-30 minutes!

Not sure if I want to keep auto upshift in M or not though. I just sent an email asking if that leaves the kickdown feature on which I like as it seems to shift a bit quicker than having to paddle down in a pinch on the highway.

bonix

Ready to race!
Got my loaner laptop today and just drove around on my newly UM flashed R.

It was great! Immediately noticeable even at idle with a bit louder growl. Takes off quicker and pulls quicker in higher gears. I am the farthest thing from a car expert but it was very easy and definitely worth the $$$

Now I just need to find myself a UM sticker

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV

It was great! Immediately noticeable even at idle with a bit louder growl. Takes off quicker and pulls quicker in higher gears. I am the farthest thing from a car expert but it was very easy and definitely worth the $$$

Nice!! Glad you got the tune. I am sure that you will love it for a long time to come. Just makes the car much more fun than it already is. Enjoy. :headbang:

oidoglr

Ready to race!

The growl is probably attributable to the fact that UM software disables the flapper in a stock exhaust. (Flapper is always open) :w00t: I'm hoping to get the UM combo before Wookies in the Woods 2013. Either that or a Haldex controller. Decisions, decisions. :)

vigs12

Car(s)
mkv R32
got my UM tune about a month ago. definitely a noticable difference.
DSG tune is where its at, launching at 5000 is... interesting.

bonix

Ready to race!
I haven't had a chance to launch yet. Starting to regret living so close to work, I barely have time to let the engine warm up!

Would getting new mounts be a wise idea? I am slightly worried about the added stress from the stronger pulls.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I haven't had a chance to launch yet. Starting to regret living so close to work, I barely have time to let the engine warm up!

Would getting new mounts be a wise idea? I am slightly worried about the added stress from the stronger pulls.

I have about 90k miles on my R. I only changed my mounts when the dealer said they were starting to go. If you take your car to the dealer for service and trust them, then I would ask them to check how they are looking.

They don't look to be that hard to replace on your own if you have the necessary tools.

vigs12

Car(s)
mkv R32
yes by Jesse, I contacted him about coming up to Toronto to flash some cars.
Once we got enough cars he came up.

Great guy.

He also took me for a ride in his R36. Incredible.
Also mentioned about your beast! maybe I can get a ride in your car one day lol

WindWalker

Older Than Dirt
Car(s)
2008 R32
APR Stage I

Had the stage I flash done and quite pleased. I knew it wasn't going to produce the effect that I got with the flash on my previous GTI 2.0T so felt comfortable with the results. Noticeable smoother acceleration across the whole RPM range and surprise better gas mileage at expressway+ speeds.

My other car is A6 2.7T S-Line and the R32 now reminds me of it's smooth and consistent acceleration.