GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is an APR flash worth it?

bonix

Ready to race!
I'm itching to spend some money on the R and would like a little bit more oomf on the road. I don't know much about it though and have been reading up best I can. $400 for a single program (I assume that's the octane choice) isn't too bad unless I wouldn't be able to feel it.

Can anyone with a flash chime in on where you feel the gains?

Only other mods I have are an evoms CAI and a GHL catback exhaust.

Thanks!

bonix

Ready to race!
Can you link? I haven't looked any of this up in a few years so I am out of the loop.

I have no plans for tracking or anything, I just want to make daily driving more fun.

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
UM Tune is by far the most popular and "worth it" tune for our cars...I don't have it, but (as marsk said) others give it great reviews. check on vortex in the Golf V R32 thread, too for what people have to say about it. there is a guy from UM up there who can answer any questions you have.

Trinite7787

Ready to race!
for what it is worth i could tell when my APR chip was not on, but it did not make a huge difference some but not much

Also when the chip goes on sale you get a fully loaded chip for 499 or whatever which gives you 4 or 5 programs

i also had giac DSG tune with my APR chip the combo made a difference good difference over sock my .02

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Go UM, I waited 4 years to flash my car and I'm glad I waited for the UM combo.

I dynoed recently with 239hp with cams.

bonix

Ready to race!
Wow thanks for the info/advice. I just read up on UM which I've never heard of and it is indeed sexy. Should I get the DSG flashed at the same time?

bonix

Ready to race!
After looking through the site I'm sad to see they have no dealers in Michigan. I might have to hike it out 3 hours to Ohio or Chicago to get it done.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I think UM have a flash loader they can send you to do it yourself if there isn't a dealer in your area.