GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Initial thoughts on CM FX400

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Just got my Clutch Masters FX400 with full face steel flywheel installed by Tuning Gruppe and in the middle of the 500 mile break in period. Initial thoughts..

Slight increase in clutch chatter during revving in neutral, and less when in gear. Revving in neutral also more responsive.

Clutch engagement very very quickly. Felt like driving a stick for the first time again! Got used to it by the 3rd day.

Since I can't WOT, the car feels more solid and acts like it wants to take off more rapidly.

So far after 100 miles in to it, I am quite pleased with the product. Cant wait for the true result.

I am only stage 2+, but plan on going BT by the end of the year. Hope this sh!t lasts! :thumbsup:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Good review so far; looking forward to post break-in results.

Is this package lighter than stock? I bet a light clutch/flywheel would suit the K04 well. My K04 setup (including a clutch with stock flywheel) is laggy, so I'd think the snappier throttle response off-boost with a lighter flywheel would make a K04 come into its power band more quickly and get rid of some of the sluggishness at low rpm off-boost. I bet a light flywheel makes a more noticeable difference with a laggy BT or K04 than it would with a K03 which boosts the moment you go WOT.

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
8 puck for a more smoother engagement. Daily driven.

Good review so far; looking forward to post break-in results.

Is this package lighter than stock? I bet a light clutch/flywheel would suit the K04 well. My K04 setup (including a clutch with stock flywheel) is laggy, so I'd think the snappier throttle response off-boost with a lighter flywheel would make a K04 come into its power band more quickly and get rid of some of the sluggishness at low rpm off-boost. I bet a light flywheel makes a more noticeable difference with a laggy BT or K04 than it would with a K03 which boosts the moment you go WOT.

Anything is lighter then the dual mass flywheel that come stock on this car.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Clay said their shop car uses a 6puck but I'm not sure if I want that or not. I'm torn between the 8 and 6

Sent from my iPhone

There isn't going to be a big difference between the 8 pad and the 6 puck disk when it comes to the engagement, this is because both are still using a Ceramic material.

Anything is lighter then the dual mass flywheel that come stock on this car.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Very true. The CM Steel flywheel for the MK5 2.0T is actually pretty heavy at 23.5 lbs, their aluminum flywheel is only around 13.5 lbs.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Does the lighter 13.5 lb flywheel make it hard to drive in traffic without stalling? Does it lead to CELs? I had a light flywheel on my bolted 98 Neon R/T and it made a great improvement in throttle response but the car was far less tractable and constantly plagued by CELs since the vibes of that coarse engine with aftermarket solid motor mounts and the light flywheel and light underdrive pulley setup freaked the knock sensors out. I've been wary of lighter than stock flywheels ever since.

Does the lighter 13.5 lb flywheel make it hard to drive in traffic without stalling? Does it lead to CELs? I had a light flywheel on my bolted 98 Neon R/T and it made a great improvement in throttle response but the car was far less tractable and constantly plagued by CELs since the vibes of that coarse engine with aftermarket solid motor mounts and the light flywheel and light underdrive pulley setup freaked the knock sensors out. I've been wary of lighter than stock flywheels ever since.

Makes it harder to drive in traffic since more throttle is needed to keep the car from bogging.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Makes it harder to drive in traffic since more throttle is needed to keep the car from bogging.

Is it a beast to drive, or only moderately more involved than driving a stock- weight flywheel in traffic? No CEL issues?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Great info, thanks.

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Yea no CEL so far. Clutch chatter not as bad as I thought. Pretty easy to drive in stop & go traffic now that Im used to the feel. Parts & labor ~$1850 including routine oil change & tranny. Got the car back same day. Car sounds more aggressive.