GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I bought used tires from a friend...

motorhoney

Ready to race!
I bought a used set of Eagle F1 tires (224,45 - R 17) from a friend to replace my Eagle GT tires for the summer (wanted something I could burn through and go back to my GTs for the winter)

They were run on a 6.5" 17 wheel for a while and had to be over-inflated to fit properly, so there is lots of wear in the center but the sides are pretty good. I put them on my car and they're VERY noisy (pretty serious vibrations when braking too)

Was I stupid? I paid $200 for the tires, mounted and everything, and there's quite a fair bit if tread left. My friend says "just burn them off and they'll wear even", but I don't think that seems logical.

What say you?

CandyWhiteTSi

Tittie Tickler
Car(s)
08.5 GTI
I had Eagle F1's and when they were worn they were some of the noisiest tires I've ever driven on.. Post pics up of the tread... I'd say for $200 maybe it seems a little high. From how it sounds as you've described it, they seem 75% gone. :iono:

motorhoney

Ready to race!

three of them are like this, and one (in the back) is a little lower. They're damn near brand new... on the outsides. It's "high noon" so I'm getting some harsh shadows from my fender, I'll get a better pick when the light is a little less flat.

CandyWhiteTSi

Tittie Tickler
Car(s)
08.5 GTI
Hmm, they look pretty good... Silly question, as it's hard to tell from the picture, but the tire is mounted correctly on the car, right? :yikes:

motorhoney

Ready to race!
unreal. My friend insists that they "turn into winter tires" when mounted backwards, and claims great results...

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Any goodyear tire is utter garbage. They never wear well, EVERY one of their performance tires are noisy as hell. I could go on and on about them but ill leave it at that.

As far as the shaking. If it only shakes under braking then you have a warped rotor. They dont look like their feathered but the center tread blocks look like they are very close to the wear bars.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Any goodyear tire is utter garbage. They never wear well, EVERY one of their performance tires are noisy as hell. I could go on and on about them but ill leave it at that.

As far as the shaking. If it only shakes under braking then you have a warped rotor. They dont look like their feathered but the center tread blocks look like they are very close to the wear bars.

All four corners have brand new pads and rotors.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
fack, the driver-rear one is leaking slowly, I think I ran over some glass. I guess that "wheel warranty" I bought when I got the car won't go to waste afterall :)

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
How is a wheel/tire warranty that you bought with the car going to cover tires that weren't on the car when you bought it?

motorhoney

Ready to race!
I was told at the time that the warranty will cover any wheel/tire on the car, regardless. Even some "rimmz" would be covered if I had them.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
I was told at the time that the warranty will cover any wheel/tire on the car, regardless. Even some "rimmz" would be covered if I had them.

That's one killer warranty. Wheels/tires were road forced right? You shouldn't really be getting any significant vibrations.