GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get Android to do what iPhone does?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
OK Android folks, I still think my old iPhone 4S was superior to my new Samsung Galaxy S4 in many ways. Here I'm going to post some examples of things I used to do on my iPhone (stock, with no apps written by 13 year olds in Taiwan) that I have not yet figured out how to do.

The first one is doubly KILLING my data due to being on a family plan with the person with whom I share photos:

How do I resize photos as they are emailed (via gmail) that were taken full size (9MP)? When pressing send, the iPhone gave you 4 options: full size, and 3 different smaller options which are fine for viewing on a phone.

Second scenario is similar but involves 3rd party apps: How do I upload photos to a forum (using tapatalk on both iphone and android) at a reasonable resolution instead of full 9 MP size? iPhone gave 3 resizing options again, Android gives me nothing.

More to come later.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
My best guess would be to use an image resizer app :iono:

Do photo's have to be sent while you're on network, like is it for work? If it's not time sensitive (albeit this is a cop out method) you could just wait til you get home and then send them over WiFi :D

Bender1

Banned
Serious question - how many pictures are you taking and uploading that it is impacting your data plan? Do you not have wifi access 90% of the time? Which data plan do you have?

Nothing drives me crazier than those who resize photos so I am biased.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Wi-Fi at most places is slower than 4G by a large margin so I don't normally use it except at home.

At $10 per GB it costs roughly $0.10 per photo to upload and download them - and all of it is wasted because 1280x800 resolution would be plenty instead of the full 9 MP. But I don't want to have to manually resize every photo and keep track of 2 copies of them on my phone, or manually shoot low res photos and lose the option of having the full res if I want to see it later... I want it to work at least as well as an iPhone because Android is supposed to be superior.

Bender1

Banned
I think your maths is off on your photos - it should cost you 1 cent to upload/download them.

Does wi-fi speed really matter that much? how are you blowing through so much data?

Last month I used just shy of 2 gigs of data and that was with downloading a few huge files, streaming audio for about 15 hours, a couple netflix tv shows, and standard usage.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I think your maths is off on your photos - it should cost you 1 cent to upload/download them.

Does wi-fi speed really matter that much? how are you blowing through so much data?

Last month I used just shy of 2 gigs of data and that was with downloading a few huge files, streaming audio for about 15 hours, a couple netflix tv shows, and standard usage.

5MB photo upload and 5MB download on the other phone is 10MB. .01GB * $10/GB = $0.10

I have no idea how you use so little. One HD Netflix episode is nearly 1GB by itself. Google Play streaming music at a quality that does not sound terrible is HUGE bandwidth. I have already pretty much stopped using both of these.

4G is fast but the bandwidth costs are so high that it is nearly useless.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I used 60gb of data last month. Might hit 70 this month

On your home connection right? Or are you out in the country to Mobile data is all you can use?

5MB photo upload and 5MB download on the other phone is 10MB. .01GB * $10/GB = $0.10

I have no idea how you use so little. One HD Netflix episode is nearly 1GB by itself. Google Play streaming music at a quality that does not sound terrible is HUGE bandwidth. I have already pretty much stopped using both of these.

4G is fast but the bandwidth costs are so high that it is nearly useless.

1 Gb? What? No. A full HD movie to download would be in the 1 Gig range, way less is used to stream though, especially just an episode

Bender1

Banned

Ahh - shared data.

I have no idea how you use so little.

I use little by having wifi always on. If i am near a wifi network chances are speed doesn't matter for what I am doing (and if it does, I just flick it off). My music is on the device except when I am searching for something new - most of my audio streams are NPR so sound quality doesn't matter much

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
On your home connection right? Or are you out in the country to Mobile data is all you can use?

1 Gb? What? No. A full HD movie to download would be in the 1 Gig range, way less is used to stream though, especially just an episode

Netflix hd stream is minimum 2600 kbps = 325 kBps = 1170000 kB per hour long episode of Top Gear.

Sent from S4 in my S4

blankwavercade

Ready to race!
I've never understood how someone could watch netflix on their phone. streaming music makes sense, no need to carry an ipod with you and you get a variety of stuff you dont have on your ipod. but a movie damn, i couldnt stare at my phone for that long.