GOLFMKV

Holden Service Dept

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
This all sounds too familiar....

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24225746-5007132,00.html

I used to live near a Holden dealer and our street was the 'test drive' route. Obviously it's not exclusive to Holden but these guys were outright dangerous with cars being driven 100 km/h+ down a quiet suburban street. I'm all for having a bit of fun but not in someone elses car and not in close proximity to others. I rang the service manager to complain a number of times and probably became known as the grumpy bastard down the street.

I drove a Vectra at the time and drove out of my way not to have it serviced 150m from home.

Last edited:

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
my mates were walking along Howe Street in Ossie Park one arvo whilst waiting for their car to get its wheel alignment done and they see this Merc E-class being absolutely flogged, spinning the tyres etc so my mates yelled out to the driver as he flew past "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN" the driver of the Merc then had the balls to pull a fast U turn and drive next to them and abuse them! my mates saw he had a West Point Star service shirt on, so they wrote down the number plate and walked the 200 odd metres to the Merc Dealer. it just so happened my mates dad had bought many mercs from them and knew the dealer manager so thats who they went to see. the next day my mate gets a phone call saying that employee had gotten fired, aparently he tired to deniey it but they were able to match the cars rego with the time it was out.

any way i thought that was pretty funny

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
The local Ford dealer in Woden, ACT same deal but with MY car.
Ignorant of me on bike cycling back to collect car I observed the local service shops rally competition in progress around the block.
A formal complaint was lodged and the offender was on his bike (!) that day.
Sadly when I picked up my GTI from Lennock I noted the average fuel consumption was 46l/100km and have asked some straight questions which has caused a 1 month long witch hunt and still waiting to hear the explanation. It's downright unacceptable.

Dingah

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Heard many dodgy stories from industry mates about Holden and Ford servicing departments from cars being returned with burnt rubber inside the wheel arches to oil filters not being changed but rather just wiped clean if they didn't have time to change them.... of course the customer still gets charged. There was a Nissan dealer in Melb a few years ago that had a similar incident to this one as well... mechanic took a customers brand new 200SX for a 'test drive' and put it through someones front fence after bouncing off a pole i think it was.

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
The first 2 replies in my mind have a happy ending, not for the mechanic but that's life.
I remember now that the service manager asked me for the rego of the car in question (easy) and the name of the mechanic, WTF?! That's probably their procedure so that no one ever gets busted. Funny thing was they also service police cars there and they were treated no different!

Paul

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah I met Elvis as well, he diagnosed my steering rack issue. He did seem like a good bloke for the five or so minutes I spoke with him.

Anyway, I used to live in North Melbourne and would regularly see the local mazda dealer being a little bit enthusiastic with the cars down one particular street, I guess there are certain things where they would need to test a car like that.

Around here you do see the occasional VW being driven a bit strangely as well (I live about a block from Camberwell VW).

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
A formal complaint was lodged and the offender was on his bike (!) that day.
Sadly when I picked up my GTI from Lennock I noted the average fuel consumption was 46l/100km and have asked some straight questions which has caused a 1 month long witch hunt and still waiting to hear the explanation. It's downright unacceptable.

Fitting a CCTV system to your car would resolve any questions about your car being thrashed, one that records movement even when the car is turned off and others the additional protection if someone hits the car when stationary or even when you're driving :wink:

GT15VW

All show no go
Car(s)
Golf GTI 07
Bastards. Thats why, whenever I take it for service/warranty issues, no matter how big or small. I ensure I am there. If I have to take the day off work I will.

No ones joy riding in my car.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Bastards. Thats why, whenever I take it for service/warranty issues, no matter how big or small. I ensure I am there. If I have to take the day off work I will.

No ones joy riding in my car.

What do you do, sit in the back seat with
, some music and a book :lol:

Must get cold when you have to leave the car overnight :biggrin:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
So when are we expecting the write up for the install? :wink:

Hi Res SD card DVR arrives next week, 520 line pal sony ccd bullet camera soon after and stage one will commence soon after that. Mounting the camera is the biggest problem, especially in the front.

Stage 2 is a rear facing camera (may also make this a reverse camera) and interfacing the units to the RNS510 for playback (this is getting complex as it's two units and maybe a reverse camera).

The key part is power consumption when the car is off and the ability to easily shut the unit off when parking the unit in your garage for example. Also being able to switch say the front facing camera when you park with the front against a wall and leave the rear facing camera turned on.

Whilst the quality has been scaled down for youtube this is a similar setup (must be mounted on the bumper) with a 6mm lense which I'm planning to use for the front and probably a 3.6mm lense for the back camera for a wider field of view. Getting a cheap camera/dvr sort of makes this whole project pointless as you get poor quality like this.

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
Fitting a CCTV system to your car would resolve any questions about your car being thrashed, one that records movement even when the car is turned off and others the additional protection if someone hits the car when stationary or even when you're driving :wink:
:threadjacked:
Will this be an OEM system or aftermarket?

Sounds like overkill to me. And good luck trying to use captured video as evidence (in a court of law). Any solicitor/lawyer worth their salt, will pick that evidence to pieces. However, if I purchased a Witson GPS/DVD unit...I'd have some money left over to pay for CCTV. Yup...sounds a plan.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
:threadjacked:
Will this be an OEM system or aftermarket?

Sounds like overkill to me. And good luck trying to use captured video as evidence (in a court of law). Any solicitor/lawyer worth their salt, will pick that evidence to pieces. However, if I purchased a Witson GPS/DVD unit...I'd have some money left over to pay for CCTV. Yup...sounds a plan.

Seeing as my last car was hit twice when stationary, both drivers drove off and I was only able to identify one driver the system will pay for itself after one incident.

Care to explain why captured video couldn't be used in court? Not that this is the reason for installing the unit but there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be used if it witnessed an accident.

It also gives you absolute proof in the event of an accident or ticket as to your actions. Whether or not you decide to produce the video on the other hand depends on if it helps or not.

Instead of talking about buying the Witson unit why don't you just buy it!!!! Maybe then you can actually give the reasons why you choose it and what you like/don't like about it.

As to the OEM/aftermarket questions, I'm not aware of any automobile manufacturer offering a high res motion detecting DVR system as part of their offerings.

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
Instead of talking about buying the Witson unit why don't you just buy it!!!! Maybe then you can actually give the reasons why you choose it and what you like/don't like about it.
Wow...you're really taking the bait today Mav. Chill a little mate. I was having a nice little laugh....join me.