GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me

hotemb15

So I got my car at about 115k miles and did all the required service and most recently replaced 3 wheel bearings. Next I had to replace my LCA in the front. This was all done and my car seemed to be running fine. Then after my downpipe installation in preparation for going unitronic stage 2, my car got the cel p2293.

So I ordered a cam follower from Ecs and got a new fuel filter so I could eliminate the cheapest reasons for why I got the code first.

After receiving my cam follower replacement yesterday, I decided to change it because I was unsure of when it was done last. I popped off the hpfp and saw this

There was literally no cam follower. After finding this i realized that my whole pump was destroyed.

Pics of the pump

The worst part is I now have 131k miles on my car and I don't think VWoA would cover this under the 120k mile warranty for the entire cam lobe and associated damage. Can someone explain to me how I can do it myself or if there is hope that I can be covered under this warranty. I am just really freaking out so I need advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotemb15

I just called and the women gave me that exact response. Does anyone know the ballpark of this repair? I'm completely unsure of all of this engine work

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Warranties have explicit limits, but it costs you nothing to explain your situation to someone at VWOA (not a dealer) and ask for a ruling.

Depending on you skillset and tools, you can do the work yourself. At the least you are looking at a new fuel pump (300), follower(50), and camshaft (150 used maybe).

Other members who do this level of work might chime in on difficulty.

hotemb15

I am trying to contact VWoA right now, does the camshaft look very bad? I'm unsure of what a damaged one looks like

hotemb15

As expected, vw wouldn't help me with their extended warranty or a goodwill claim. So besides the follower, hpfp, and the camshaft is there anything else I would have to replace?

If the cam follower and pump broke into big enough pieces, it's possible they're still rattling around in the cam cover. Pulling that is very easy. All you need is a t27 bit not mounted to a socket and a replacement gasket. You're going to have to do that anyway if you replace the cam.