hello from Slovakia

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
so are u guys from the same area? i mean over there, in usa

gyuri

Ready to race!
I live in Canada and he lives in the USA and we are about 800 km away. In North American terms this is relatively close....
distances here are much larger then in Europe

gyuri

Ready to race!
yeah man, in Canada ( at least here in Ontario) the official speed limit is 100 km/hr on the highway but most people drive around 120-130. Most of the time police do not stop you for this.
In US the speed limit on the highways is 60-65 mph = 96-104 km/h. I'm not sure how tolerant police are there but I think that would vary state to state.

When it comes to driving culture Canada/US are decades behind Europe. Speed limits are ridiculously low, drivers are BAD, traffic rules are very simple.( eg. 4 ways stop signs everywhere, lots of traffic lights that are always turned on)

Road conditions are also very bad, especially here on the north-east coast where we get very cold winters and hot summers. NJ has the worst roads of any place I've ever been to ( except India - but that's a different story). I know most people in Slovakia think that roads there are bad, but trust me those are nothing compared to the roads in New Jersey....

GP-WU

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V Plus
yeah man, in Canada ( at least here in Ontario) the official speed limit is 100 km/hr on the highway but most people drive around 120-130. Most of the time police do not stop you for this.
In US the speed limit on the highways is 60-65 mph = 96-104 km/h. I'm not sure how tolerant police are there but I think that would vary state to state.

When it comes to driving culture Canada/US are decades behind Europe. Speed limits are ridiculously low, drivers are BAD, traffic rules are very simple.( eg. 4 ways stop signs everywhere, lots of traffic lights that are always turned on)

Road conditions are also very bad, especially here on the north-east coast where we get very cold winters and hot summers. NJ has the worst roads of any place I've ever been to ( except India - but that's a different story). I know most people in Slovakia think that roads there are bad, but trust me those are nothing compared to the roads in New Jersey....

you poor guys...... you schould come to germany and drive on our "autobahn" but why do you buy cars with so much power if your not allowed to drive them to the limit????

I drive regulary on the Motorway with 220km/h and i wouldn´t want to miss it, i would fall a sleep if i would have to drive 100km/h

gyuri

Ready to race!
This is a north American phenomenon buying big and powerful cars and not be able to drive them anywhere near the limit....there is no answer to this
Even the base engine in most cars are much bigger than the optional engines in Europe as an example the base engine in the Golf( Rabbit)/Jetta is a 2.5L 170hp engine....noone has even heard of 1.4 or 1.6 here.
Same goes for all other cars Honda Civic base engine 1.8L 140 hp, Ford Focus 2.0L 130 hp, Mazda 3 2.0L 150 hp, Mercedes E Class E 350 272 hp, BMW 5 series 528i 230 hp , Audi A4 2.0T 210 hp just to list a few examples

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
but then u have great price for a new car and even better price for fuel. im looking forward for 2010 chevy camaro, 304hp for 23000$ is cheaper then anything in europe even remotely near that hp line

gyuri

Ready to race!
that is also true, car prices here ( especially in the US) are very low compared to Europe. I mean even German cars that are made in Germany sell for less here than they sell in Germany... go figure. It is just a different market
Gas prices are also lower, almost half of EU in general

Basically you can't get the best of both worlds :mad0259:

GP-WU

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V Plus
yes that is true with the prices...... i don´t know why but they lower the prices to keep up with the competitors, but now their getting it back throwing the cars underprice onto the market and now in the crisis they aint getting no help from the us government.

to the cheap us-cars, quality has its price and you notice it. a friend bought the new mustang 4,0l with ca. 260hp. itd got a really nice design from the outside, the inside is crap and looks like a dacia...... the suspension is so swabbly that you don´t wan´t to drive faster than 160km/h. i believe the rear axel doesn´t even have independant suspension.....

can you afford a new gti or do you own a new gti.... theres a big difference in that... i could buy a porsche on credit if i would want to