GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headliner woes

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
So I realize the falling headliner is a common issue. I see some have replaced with new in hopes that they are made with better materials. I'm leaning toward bringing it to an upholstery guy to redo it. Has anyone had their replacement last longer or do they still fall down? Ballpark price to get it redone?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for the tip, they are actually on my way to Atlanta.

Waffle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
I had my headliner and pillars done at Love's.
Sorry, I don't have a good picture. The stitching costs extra. Work is top notch.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k...creenshot_2015-03-06-11-58-50_zps8ed370a5.png

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k...e Uploads/IMG_20150306_120019_zpsd9gvvvw5.jpg

Waffle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
I can't remember exactly. I paid around $650. Material was around $300 and stitching added a good amount.

This guy will do it right, it is worth paying a little extra for someone who has taken these headliners out countless times.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
That looks great. Thinking I can get a nice jacky plaid and pull the headliner out myself to save some money.

dawolfsburg

I use the search
Car(s)
GTI
My car was originally from Florida so the sun just killed the headliner. It totally fell last year and had it replaced a upholstery shop for $300. Of course I live in the Washington, DC Metro area so everything costs 2x as much... but it looks good.

I opted for a slightly darker color in the same stock texture and am pleased (despite having to make the repair in the first place)

The headliner in my MKII fell and I thought I was past all this nonsense with the MKV!:thumbdown:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I feel relatively lucky with my car having been in the south for the past 5 years. The only place mine is drooping is right under the hinges for the sun visors. I blame myself for not properly fitting my windshield sun reflector in properly and all that sun reflecting up on the headliner in that location.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Don't blame yourself, these headliners are cheap and the material is too short.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I did mine myself the other day. First time I've ever done it and it shows. 90% of it is perfect. The other 10%, the curves up front on the sides, the oh sh*t handle pockets, and the curve up by the windshield where the console is look like crap. The material wouldn't stretch at all. I laid the material down perpendicular to the board starting in the middle. Did the front half first and then the back half. Probably would have been better if I had started in the middle up front and worked my way to the edges and then towards the rear of the board. So up front where the curves are, the material isn't following the deep curvature. And the handle pockets it's barely attached under the handle. It's good enough to where I'm at least happy that it isn't falling down. But I'm sure it won't last super long this way. I'm sure it will pull away and fall again in a year or two. I'm planning on getting a new one in about 2 years anyway so hopefully it will last until then.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I might just put dynamat or whatever up there and see how that looks.