Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Continue this in PM.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk 2

oempls

Go Kart Champion
I'm just asking, trying to understand the point of view when everyone is bashing me just because I said "no matter how justified, the LEO's could have proceeded differently" and people are like "idiot it's only a dog, not as smart as a human"

What do you do for a living, work in an office? This might be the problem. If you have never experienced a possible life or death situation you might not understand it fully.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
What do you do for a living, work in an office? This might be the problem. If you have never experienced a possible life or death situation you might not understand it fully.

I have had my fair share of scary situations. I have had birth defects and been in surgery multiple times, as well as getting bit by a german shepherd three times, among other things. This was NOT a life/death situation for those LEO's in the video. It was a split second situation but not a life/death one.

EDIT: the surgeries took place in Romania, and they were all full anesthesia (which is always a serious thing, at least to my parents).

Last edited:

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!

Open heart surgery and get my aortic valve replaced with the pulmonary and pulmonary replaced by either a cow/pig valve or in 2 years I'm hoping for a non animal part such as a prosthetic valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oempls

Go Kart Champion
Sorry but neither of those situations could be compared to what they went through. Split section decisions sometimes aren't always the right thing. When you have time to reflect it afterwards its easy to judge.

Death threats to the officers is the headline of local news around these parts. What a mess!

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Sorry but neither of those situations could be compared to what they went through. Split section decisions sometimes aren't always the right thing. When you have time to reflect it afterwards its easy to judge.

Death threats to the officers is the headline of local news around these parts. What a mess!

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about life/death situations? The officers in the video did not go in the any least bit of Life/Death situation in that incident. Split second, yes, and you even said that they're not always the right thing.

It was not a life and death situation, show me the stats on how many people are killed each year by ONE dog bite/lunge, in the United States.

If that guy feared for his life in the incident, all from a dog lunging, he doesn't deserve the badge. God knows how he would react when some nutjob runs at him with a newspaper or something in a threatening manner.

Remember, there are asshole cops (not all of them), there are corrupt cops, there are great cops, there are cool cops, there are chill cops, and there are trigger-happy cops. This guy was more of a trigger-happy cop. He had about 5 seconds after he entered their situation to change his weapon...

EDIT: I state again that these officers have not had any training with animals of any kind, quoted by the Police Chief of HPD; when you admit something like that, it makes your department look even worse for committing the act than it did before. Also, LEO's, as I've mentioned before, have to have quick-thinking skills and minds, at least faster than the average citizen, and this man had 5 seconds. Hell, if I saw the dog barking/looking at me, I promise you, with anything you want, I would tell the owner to calm his dog down.

Last edited:

fcvapor05

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about life/death situations? The officers in the video did not go in the any least bit of Life/Death situation in that incident. Split second, yes, and you even said that they're not always the right thing.

It was not a life and death situation, show me the stats on how many people are killed each year by ONE dog bite/lunge, in the United States.

If that guy feared for his life in the incident, all from a dog lunging, he doesn't deserve the badge. God knows how he would react when some nutjob runs at him with a newspaper or something in a threatening manner.

Remember, there are asshole cops (not all of them), there are corrupt cops, there are great cops, there are cool cops, there are chill cops, and there are trigger-happy cops. This guy was more of a trigger-happy cop. He had about 5 seconds after he entered their situation to change his weapon...

EDIT: I state again that these officers have not had any training with animals of any kind, quoted by the Police Chief of HPD; when you admit something like that, it makes your department look even worse for committing the act than it did before. Also, LEO's, as I've mentioned before, have to have quick-thinking skills and minds, at least faster than the average citizen, and this man had 5 seconds. Hell, if I saw the dog barking/looking at me, I promise you, with anything you want, I would tell the owner to calm his dog down.

A cop doesn't need be in fear for his life to use lethal force on an animal- You're right that letting a 100 lb dog latch on to your arm isn't going to end your life, but it is absolutely going to change it. Anyone who lives and works with dogs knows that a 100 lb dog killing someone with a bite is unlikely. But those people also know that to let that same 100 lb dog latch on to your wrist is a quick path to your wife opening the pickle jars for the rest of your life.

A dog of that size is absolutely capable of causing massive, irreparable damage to someone's hand/arm/wrist- a life changing injury. Putting that dog down is justified if the officer felt threatened to that level. I don't doubt that he did.

Drew113

Ready to race!
Alright so I read through most of this thread and honestly the only thing I care about is when the fuck people started calling cops LEO's??

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
A cop doesn't need be in fear for his life to use lethal force on an animal- You're right that letting a 100 lb dog latch on to your arm isn't going to end your life, but it is absolutely going to change it. Anyone who lives and works with dogs knows that a 100 lb dog killing someone with a bite is unlikely. But those people also know that to let that same 100 lb dog latch on to your wrist is a quick path to your wife opening the pickle jars for the rest of your life.

A dog of that size is absolutely capable of causing massive, irreparable damage to someone's hand/arm/wrist- a life changing injury. Putting that dog down is justified if the officer felt threatened to that level. I don't doubt that he did.

:clap:

He gets it. The guy tried to grab the leash twice and the dog lunged at him once, if he would have connected that cops career and lifestyle could have gone out the window.

The captains comments are complete PR talk. If he says the cop did the right thing some people, as yourself, question his authority. If he says the cop did the wrong thing, he throws his officer under the bus (I see it this way because I don't think what the cop did was inside his rights as an officer) and makes his staff look incompetent. If he says the cop was right but we could have changed something it makes the first group of people a little happy since they are reviewing it and the people who think he didn't do anything wrong are also happy. You have to read between the lines with politics.

Also going to throw this out there that this would have been a completely different situation if it wasn't the owners fault the dog got loose. For example, if the cops went to arrest the man while he had his dog and the dog freaked out and was shot, even though he lunged at the office, I would blame the police. They put themselves in danger and I would hold them accountable for the dogs death. Since the owner was the one who started the situation and didn't secure the dog, I can't blame the officer for making that decision in a split second life altering situation. I'll tell you now that if I was in that situation, if I had time to think of anything it would be my family that I need to provide for not how to secure this dog without hurting it, because like I said, the officers were not at fault for the dog attacking them.

Last edited:

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
Not sure if this article was posted yet. But the dog owner to me, has lost all credibility. He was looking for attention.

As some, including resident Gabriel Martinez, aimed their cellphones at the scene to record it, Rosby drove up in his rented black Mazda. Swain said Rosby stopped in the intersection with music blaring from his windows. Officers told him to turn down the music because they were trying to hear what was happening down the street. Rosby pulled forward, parked and got out with his dog, but left the music still playing loudly.

"It's distracting the officers," Swain said. "It's interfering with what they are able to hear. It's not just a party call. It's an armed robbery call. The officers need to hear what's going on with the people being called out of the residence. That music in

Hawthorne resident Leon Rosby talks about his encounter with Hawthorne Police Sunday at 137th St. and Jefferson Ave. that ended with his Rottweiler Max being shot to death by officers. Rosby stands near the blood spattered sidewalk where his dog was killed. (Robert Casillas / Staff Photographer)his car is bleeding over and it's distracting them."

Martinez said the Usher song "Tell Me Again" was looping over and over.

Rosby, who pulled out his own cellphone to record the police activity, did not lower the volume.

"I do apologize if I didn't immediately comply. The music may have been a little loud but I was complying," Rosby said. "I said, 'Sir, I want to make sure nobody's civil rights were being violated.' "
(LOLWTF)

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said the officers asked him to turn the music down, but he refused. Rosby, she said, responded, "It's my (expletive) radio!"

Rosby, 52, denied cursing, saying he was a Christian.

Once police arrested the suspected robber, officers motioned to Rosby and began walking toward him. Swain said they intended to arrest him and told him to put the dog in his car. He complied.

The video shows him putting the dog in the car, but leaving the windows open. Rosby said he walked toward officers, turned and put his hands behind his back, and waited for them to arrest him. The video shows the dog barking as officers took him into custody.

Suddenly, the 130-pound, 3-year-old dog jumped out of the car and ran at them.

"I said, 'No, Max!' " Rosby said. The dog is seen lunging at the officer, who fired several shots.

"He literally shot my puppy I had since he was 6 weeks old," Rosby said.

The dog died in the street.

"I was crying and hollering, 'My dog! My dog! Max! Max!' " he said.

Rosby spent the night in jail on suspicion of obstruction and was released at 5 a.m. Monday.

He said Monday he believed police were retaliating against him because of previous run-ins and struggles with officers. Court records show he has previous convictions for resisting, battery and driving under the influence. Rosby, who is black, said he has filed six complaints against the Hawthorne Police Department, alleging mistreatment and racial profiling.

Rosby filed a lawsuit against the city of Hawthorne and two police officers in March, contending officers broke one of his ribs when they responded to a domestic violence disturbance at his house, not far from the dog shooting scene.

"There's been a pattern of harassment against him and other African-Americans in Hawthorne," said Rosby's attorney, Michael Gulden. "Last July, the police responded to his home and beat him unnecessarily, then threw him in jail for no reason. We sued for that. We'll amend that complaint to include the dog incident."

Rosby, a husband and father, said police should have taken his handcuffs off so he could corral the dog. There also was no need to arrest him, he said.

"Why did they not just let me go when I put him in the car?" he asked.

Rosby said he and Max had spent their last moments together at the Lawndale dog park. The dog kept licking him on the back of the neck in his car as he drove.

"All he did was love me," he said.

Theres that saying; Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if this article was posted yet. But the dog owner to me, has lost all credibility. He was looking for attention.

Theres that saying; Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

That is justified and the owner is responsible, but the dog still should not have been shot. Owner deserved to be arrested though.