• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Opinions on this?

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE A DOG GET SHOT DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.

I know there are fellow LEO's on this forum, but this disgusts me.

There are multiple inconsistencies that the law enforcement in this video have shown.

Some:

1. The owner has no reason to be cuffed, for merely filming the scene.
2. Let the owner calm the dog down, as he wasn't resisting arrest before.
3. Grab the dog by the leash or jump on him, DO NOT SHOOT.
4. Do not taunt the dog (the LEO who shot him stuck his hand out at the dog multiple times)
5. While many people will say the owner is irresponsible, remember he was transporting the dog and therefore had the windows open. Let it be noted that the LEO's made more mistakes than the owner in this scenario.

LEO's like this make me sick and make me wonder why I had ever wished to be one.

Personal opinions? To me this is a straight up abuse of authority. First by the two LEO's who cuff the owner, to the guy shooting the dog more than one time. One shot would scare the dog, therefore you can just grab the leash or jump on him. Sickening.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
When was this? What happened to the guy?

DAFUQ is going on here?

I found this on facebook, this is a terrible situation.

Here's what went down:

Owner films/takes pictures of the scene, and then as soon as he puts the dog in, the two officers confront him. They cuff him, FOR NO LEGAL REASON MIGHT I ADD, and the dog obviously looks out to defend his owner. But, you can immobilize a dog without a gun, there is no gun needed in this situation. Just jump on him or grab the leash, better yet let the owner calm him down because he wasn't resisting anything in the first place.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
Can't make a proper judgement without actually knowing what was going on in that crime scene. Obviously something with concern is occuring if they have to even bring a k-9 unit inside.The dog owner wasn't just filming the incident, you can hear him saying remarks to the police officers.

I understand that a dog is a part of the family, but officers don't shoot to scare. You do not jump on a dog that can cause potential harm.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Can't make a proper judgement without actually knowing what was going on in that crime scene. Obviously something with concern is occuring if they have to even bring a k-9 unit inside.The dog owner wasn't just filming the incident, you can hear him saying remarks to the police officers.

I understand that a dog is a part of the family, but officers don't shoot to scare. You do not jump on a dog that can cause potential harm.

Of course, but I'm sure he was not being threatening toward them. Words don't do anything. The LEO's had something else to focus on, let people film if they want to.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Um... the dog clearly charged em... just saying. Wrong place wrong time.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Um... the dog clearly charged em... just saying. Wrong place wrong time.

Um... the dog would NOT have charged the officers if they didn't feel the need to "cuff" the man for nothing. If he did say something, how about you tell him to go home because this situation doesn't concern him.

The biggest abuse that I am pointing out is not the fact that the dog got shot and killed, because ultimately the LEO's caused that by building up to that event. They should have never put the owner in a situation where he didn't legally deserve to be that would cause the dog to act that way in the first place.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Um... the dog would NOT have charged the officers if they didn't feel the need to "cuff" the man for nothing. If he did say something, how about you tell him to go home because this situation doesn't concern him.

The biggest abuse that I am pointing out is not the fact that the dog got shot and killed, because ultimately the LEO's caused that by building up to that event. They should have never put the owner in a situation where he didn't legally deserve to be that would cause the dog to act that way in the first place.

I suppose I kind of see that side as well. But the owner has a rottweiler... and is strolling around taping a dangerous situation (clearly by the sheer presence of cops). Bad judgement on his part as well.

Last edited:

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
The dog was just protecting it's owner He had no right to shoot. There was a million different ways it could have went down with out the dog being killed. Don't get me wrong the guy seemed like an a hole but the cops were still wrong for shooting the dog.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I suppose I kind of see that side as well. But the owner has a rottweiler... as is strolling around taping a dangerous situation (clearly by the sheer presence of cops). Bad judgement on his part as well.

But look at how many other people there are watching as well. Now I would understand your point completely if the owner was with the dog past the cop cars toward the scene, but literally the roadblock starts at the corner, and the man only goes a couple of feet into it. If the cops wanted to tell him to leave, they would just say "Don't cross into here, it's a dangerous situation" Now, from what we see/hear they didn't so I am assuming that they did not. In court, this would be used as evidence, and even if the cops said something (which is the owner's fault for not listening), this video is hard evidence and possible the only piece of evidence in the case.

tl;dr

In a situation of this nature, just tell the man to go home no matter what he appears to say or has said, especially at the moment you physically confronted him to handcuff him. In the end this is more bad press for the cops.

The dog was just protecting it's owner He had no right to shoot. There was a million different ways it could have went down with out the dog being killed. Don't get me wrong the guy seemed like an a hole but the cops were still wrong for shooting the dog.

No matter what the guy did to be an a hole, they should have never handcuffed him. There was NO reason for him to be handcuffed/put under arrest. He did not violate any written laws nor did he need to be restrained. He didn't even resist arrest.

Police Officers are PO's because they have the ability to hold their cool and temper and react and judge situations far more aptly than a normal citizen can, and this video shows that they (Hawthorne PD) do not.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Honestly to me personally f*** the court room and the trail and evidence. Nothing they can give me or say to me will bring back my dog or the memory of having to watch some dick shoot him for no reason.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
I suppose I kind of see that side as well. But the owner has a rottweiler... as is strolling around taping a dangerous situation (clearly by the sheer presence of cops). Bad judgement on his part as well.

Pretty much this.

Compare his distance to the scene, compared to everyone elses. He is right there. The cops obviously have that area barricaded. You can hear him say things to the officers including something about civil rights violation...like shut up, let the officers do their job. Now the dog owner is starting to interrupt whatever the officers are doing.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Honestly to me personally f*** the court room and the trail and evidence. Nothing they can give me or say to me will bring back my dog or the memory of having to watch some dick shoot him for no reason.

Again, as I posted above. I agree with you. What I'm saying is the man can still sue and he WILL win. This is an immature reaction by multiple LEO's, not just the one who shot the dog.

Again, LEO's are trained to judge and react more maturely and intelligently in situations like this, that are fast paced. This should not have happened.
Pretty much this.

Compare his distance to the scene, compared to everyone elses. He is right there. The cops obviously have that area barricaded. You can hear him say things to the officers including something about civil rights violation...like shut up, let the officers do their job. Now the dog owner is starting to interrupt whatever the officers are doing.

Those officers weren't doing much. And you know what? Why not have an officer where the barricade starts? To make sure no one goes into the scene? No they just leave their cars unattended? Exactly.