GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R sport springs and Bilstein Sport suspension

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Hey all
Am seriously considering the H&R sport springs and Bilstein Sport suspension combo.

Has anyone had these on for a long time?
Have you had many issues?
Are these better than the Koni FSD and Eibach kit?

let me know what you think

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
I have this exact setup. Do not get this setup unless you like stiff suspension. I just so happen to so for me they're fantastic. They handle incredibly with no body roll whatsoever. The only real downside is the comfort, or lack thereof otherwise they have been trouble free for about 30,000km

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I've got some H&R Sports waiting to go on right now... I've read they are pretty stiff from numerous sources. The eibach are supposed to be pretty similar to the OEM springs in terms of ride quality.

MJM Autohaus

GolfMkV Sponsor
Hey all
Am seriously considering the H&R sport springs and Bilstein Sport suspension combo.

Has anyone had these on for a long time?
Have you had many issues?
Are these better than the Koni FSD and Eibach kit?

let me know what you think

Comparing those two kits and asking which is better is like considering buying a Cadillac or MK5 GTI (meaning they're two different beasts). The FSDs are not designed or valved for aggressive driving, while the Bilstein Sports (with any springs, but especially an H&R Sport Spring) is an all-out "performance" suspension kit for use for aggressive and spirited style driving. A pitch we like to use here is that an FSD kit is good for the wife, girlfriend, or mom, while the Sport kits are better suited for us madmen that like to take the corners, terrorize tires, and haul ass around town in. Case in point: we recently purchased another shop demo vehicle (Mazda3) that a 57 year old female staff member will be driving here. The suspension kit that is going on it is none other than the KONI FSD Eibach kit that utilizes Eibach's mildly rated Pro-Kit Springs. The KONI FSD Shocks are valved for springs like the Pro-Kit Springs (READ: softer, less aggressively rated springs).

To answer your other question, though - YES, the H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks is an excellent choice and go together like peanut better and jelly, as the two Germain firms have been working together for decades engineering suspension kits for vehicles all over the globe. In fact, many H&R Coilover Kits use Bilstein Shocks, while many Bilstein Coilover Kits utilize H&R Springs. Think of the two companies like Sonny and Cher (two peas in a pod). Do some more research, decide what kit is best for you, and if indeed you want to do the H&R/Bilstein kit, let us know, as that particular kit is on sale right now (and currently in stock as of today, 9/15).

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Well for me i am one of those madmen that "like to take the corners, terrorize tires, and haul ass around town in. " :)
So i will definantly go the Bilstein and H&R set
Hey 604GTI how much did your car lower by, i know that H&R claim a drop of 1.5 inch but some threads are stating reality of 2", do you find your car bottoming out over speed humps?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Well for me i am one of those madmen that "like to take the corners, terrorize tires, and haul ass around town in. " :)
I don't, or at least not at the expense of all comfort. However hopefully you won't mind me asking this:
The FSDs are not designed or valved for aggressive driving, while the Bilstein Sports (with any springs, but especially an H&R Sport Spring) is an all-out "performance" suspension kit for use for aggressive and spirited style driving.
So what do we consider a more comparable Bilstein setup to the FSD kits? Maybe Bilstein HDs + those springs.

I've had Bil's on several past cars and addored them. Got plenty of miles out of them, dug the ride, handling, etc.

e dubb

Ready to race!
Car(s)
ug gti
I 've got the h&r sports w/ koni yellows an can say I love them. nice comfortble ride plus they are dampening adjustble suposedly there not as stiff as w/ bilstiens. I heard the fsd's aren't nothing to write home about. people sayif your gonna go koni ,best just do the yellows. oh and I never rub and I like to take turns fast too. lowered my 06 1.5 all around.

flowsome

ENT in the morning
^same here. nice,comfortable ride considering the increased stiffness but just expect to feel every bump around town. on the highway i dont feel any different than stock unless theres a road surface change. i give it 2 :thumbsup:

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
koni yellows or bilstein sports. there should be no other considerations when it comes to dampers. want a performance setup? bilstein sports. want a more comfortable setup that can also be sporty? yellows. end thread/

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I have the H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports. They handle great but aren't fun on the highway since they don't absorb any small choppiness or undulations. The car is constantly bouncing and snubbing bumps way too aggressively for comfortable commuting. The drop is reasonable for speed bumps and driveways and whatnot. I've had them on my car for about 30k miles now and they've held up great and are finally getting a little more comfortable on the highway.

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Hey Bunnspeed.
Noticed your mods on your vehicle, pretty much what i am looking to do to mine,
how are you finding the APR stage 2 and DP mod?
So i gather from your comment that you wouldnt do this suspension mod if you had your time again?

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
So i will definantly go the Bilstein and H&R set
Hey 604GTI how much did your car lower by, i know that H&R claim a drop of 1.5 inch but some threads are stating reality of 2", do you find your car bottoming out over speed humps?

When it was just the H&R springs installed it was about as 1.5 inch drop but when the Bilsteins were installed I found out it raised the ride height slightly. If I could do it again I may have run H&R Super Sports with the Bilsteins to go a little bit lower. FYI my car has never bottomed out despite me living in a hilly area with not so good roads.

Joe91

Ready to race!
When it was just the H&R springs installed it was about as 1.5 inch drop but when the Bilsteins were installed I found out it raised the ride height slightly. If I could do it again I may have run H&R Super Sports with the Bilsteins to go a little bit lower. FYI my car has never bottomed out despite me living in a hilly area with not so good roads.

do you drive in the snow? if so how does it handle? im from chicago so i bet we dont get as much snow as you do up in canada