GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MKVII to have 260bhp!

I hate seeing threads like this. Makes me feel that no matter what I do to my car, the next gen will always blow it away. Why bother? I went from PC gaming to Console gaming because of this. Maybe its time to get out of modding all together.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I hate seeing threads like this. Makes me feel that no matter what I do to my car, the next gen will always blow it away. Why bother? I went from PC gaming to Console gaming because of this. Maybe its time to get out of modding all together.

It's the reason a lot of people prefer to just drive new cars more or less stock and save what money they would spend on mods for the next new car.

egti

Ready to race!
It's the reason a lot of people prefer to just drive new cars more or less stock and save what money they would spend on mods for the next new car.

I only slightly modified my car (Stage 1 plus a few small things). Probably I should stop doing it further from now on.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Mods are almost not worth it - Pay to install and pay to un-install as a stock car is always worth more and easier to sell. I might do 1 more upgrade but with 260hp coming I will be going to Paris to see this. Its only a 5 hour drive.

krische

vdubber in training
I have heard a few people complain about rattles. What exactly is rattling? I have had my car for 2 years and almost 40k miles and have no rattles to report.

My MKV GTI now, that stupid ass dash vent rattled quite a bit. Though still not excessively.

Same here, the only thing I ever hear rattle are my sunglasses in their little cubby.

C4L

Banned
Also interesting is the other cars this motor could find its way in to. CC, Beetle Turbo, GLI, Tiguan, Eos, etc.

A CC with a 260hp 2.0T would be super nice to me. And then pluck the lovely 3.0T from Audi for the upper level models. I could see 3 CC variants.

200hp 2.0T
260hp 2.0T
310hp 3.0T

VW could do SO much with the motors the Group has and the offerings they have in Europe. If they wonder why they can't sell more cars in America it is this.

Imagine now for a minute as I dream about VW's future US gasoline engine lineup...

Golf/Jetta
- 1.4T w/ 150hp (same motor that is the core of the Jetta Hybrid and offered in the Euro market cars)
- 2.0T w/ 200hp - Badged as Golf/Jetta Sport-Line or R-Line
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - GTI/GLI

Passat
- 1.8T w/ 180hp (or even 2.0T w/ 200hp) - Badged as Passat 1.8T or 2.0T
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - AWD Option - Badged as Passat Sport-Line or Passat R-line

CC
- 2.0T w/ 200hp - FWD ONLY - Badged as CC 2.0T
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - FWD/AWD OPTION - Badged as CC Sport-Line or CC R-Line
- 3.0T w/ 310hp - AWD ONLY - Badged as CC 3.0T

Tiguan
- 1.8T w/ 180hp - FWD/AWD Option - Badged as Tiguan 1.8T
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - FWD/AWD Option - Badged as Tiguan 2.0T

Beetle
- 1.4 w/ 150hp - Badged as Beetle 1.4T
- 2.0T w/ 200hp - Badged as Beetle Sport-Line or R-Line
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - Badged as Beetle Turbo

Touareg
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - Badged as Touareg 2.0T
- 3.0T w/ 310hp - Badged as Touareg 3.0T or Touareg V6
- 4.0T w/ 420hp - Badged as Touareg 4.0T or Touareg V8

Boom. 1,000,000 units sold in the US.

2015. Make it happen.

Last edited:

krische

vdubber in training
Also interesting is the other cars this motor could find its way in to. CC, Beetle Turbo, GLI, Tiguan, Eos, etc.

A CC with a 260hp 2.0T would be super nice to me. And then pluck the lovely 3.0T from Audi for the upper level models. I could see 3 CC variants.

200hp 2.0T
260hp 2.0T
310hp 3.0T

VW could do SO much with the motors the Group has and the offerings they have in Europe. If they wonder why they can't sell more cars in America it is this.

Imagine now for a minute as I dream about VW's future US gasoline engine lineup...

Golf/Jetta
-1.4T w/ 150hp (same motor that is the core of the Jetta Hybrid and offered in the Euro market cars)

Passat
- 1.8T w/ 180hp (or 2.0T w/ 200hp)
- 2.0T w/ 260hp (this motor here)

CC
- 2.0T w/ 200hp - FWD ONLY
- 2.0T w/ 260hp - FWD/AWD OPTION
- 3.0T w/ 310hp (borrowed from Audi) - AWD ONLY

Tiguan
- 1.8T w/ 180hp
- 2.0T w/ 260hp

Beetle
- 1.4 w/ 150hp
- 2.0T w/ 200hp
- 2.0T w/ 260hp

Touareg
- 2.0T w/ 260hp
- 3.0T w/ 310hp
- 4.0T w/ 420hp (bring back a V8...)

Isn't there a 1.8T or 1.4T used a lot in the European models? Maybe they would bring that to North America to replace the aging 2.5L 5 cylinder.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Isn't there a 1.8T or 1.4T used a lot in the European models? Maybe they would bring that to North America to replace the aging 2.5L 5 cylinder.

VW is. The 2.5 is being discontinued in favor of the 1.8t. The 1.4 is commonly used in Europe and as noted, being brought over in the upcoming Jetta hybrid.

Small displacement, high-output turbo cars seem to be the wave of the future.

krische

vdubber in training
VW is. The 2.5 is being discontinued for the 1.8t. The 1.4 is commonly used in Europe and as noted, being brought over in the upcoming Jetta hybrid.

Any info on the 1.8T? I assume it's not the really old one from the MKIV GTI.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I guess I kind of know what you mean, but why are you flooring it at 2100rpms anyway? I feel as though that doesn't really apply to real world driving. Do the same with a 200hp na car and you'll have little to no torque at that rpm anyway.

I'll give you an example, this happens to me all the time. If I'm puttering behind traffic in 2nd or 3rd gear, then the slow guy in front turns out of the way, I'm not going to downshift to first just to break traction and make lots of noise. I just press the gas in whatever gear I'm in, because that's the point.

As far as I'm concerned, the wider the power band, the better. The reason we have turbo cars rather than high-revving N/A cars is so that we can take advantage of the artificial torque enhancement during normal driving and not have to shift all over the place to keep the engine within a narrow power band.

This is why I fiercely advocate twin-scroll or variable-geometry turbos... anything that can push the boost threshold as low as possible without giving up too much on the high end.

krische

vdubber in training
I'll give you an example, this happens to me all the time. If I'm puttering behind traffic in 2nd or 3rd gear, then the slow guy in front turns out of the way, I'm not going to downshift to first just to break traction and make lots of noise. I just press the gas in whatever gear I'm in, because that's the point.

As far as I'm concerned, the wider the power band, the better. The reason we have turbo cars rather than high-revving N/A cars is so that we can take advantage of the artificial torque enhancement during normal driving and not have to shift all over the place to keep the engine within a narrow power band.

This is why I fiercely advocate twin-scroll or variable-geometry turbos... anything that can push the boost threshold as low as possible without giving up too much on the high end.

Doesn't the Hyundai 2.0T in the Sonata use a twin-scroll?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Doesn't the Hyundai 2.0T in the Sonata use a twin-scroll?

Yes, as does the Veloster Turbo and the new Genesis Coupe 2.0T, BMW's N55 I6 in the x35 models and the new N20 in the x28 and x30 models. Turbo engines are the future, and twin-scroll is the future of turbos.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I like to floor 2nd gear at lowish RPM and ride it for a while. It's fun, and 2nd doesn't have the traction issues of 1st. That's the beauty of driving a MT, you can drive it however you want!

I do this in my DSG all the time (I pretty much live in manual mode), so I'm not sure how this is exclusive to driving a MT. :iono:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I do this in my DSG all the time (I pretty much live in manual mode), so I'm not sure how this is exclusive to driving a MT. :iono:

+1 to this. 99% of the time in M here too.