GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Headliner Sagging

Blaster

Ready to race!
I have a 2007 GTI with 33280 miles that I bought myself in January. I recently noticed my headliner coming loose near the sunroof controls. I turn around to check if the rear has any sagging and I notice the headliner coming off really bad near the rear dome lights. I have contacted VWoA and they told me I am out of the 4 year, 50,000mi new car warranty by a few weeks. They also said it is not a known problem so they cannot help me there. I just wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem, and if they are to report it to VWoA to make this a known issue.

I contacted a dealer and I told them to give me a quote on redoing my headliner and they told me I'll spend about $900! This should not be happening on a 4 year old car!

Pics:

gti_mk5

Ready to race!
same thing happened to me at 40k in the same area except the rear wasnt like that, never got that bad. My dealership swapped the whole thing under warranty without a problem but I guess without warranty :/

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Honestly, judging from the pictures it looks like it might have had water damage at one time. maybe the previous owner had a leak in the sunroof or the rear antenna had a gap that allowed in some water. That does look to be caused from something other than just age and sundamage. You can get a headliner matieral from a fabric store for pretty cheap. You just need the 3M spray adhesive to tack it on. I've done several headliners before. Hardest part is taking it off. Other than that its not that hard and should cost more than $60

apollosfury

designeddwk
interesting. seems like a good opportunity for a custom headliner wrap.

nunumkv

Ready to race!
this happens alot of all MKVS there was a recall i had same problems some people just called VWHQ an they took care of em at there local dealership fixed free no payment with or without warrenty

and the back around dome light is most common spot for it to start.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
A recall? Really? What is the recall number? If you don't know, please ask your dealer to find out cuz i'm curious.

GotFast???

Up and Coming
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
i have this problem, but its on my passenger side door. I dont know why this randomly started sagging, but now i cant even drive with my windows down because it just makes it worse. I took my car do VW and they said it wasnt covered because "it looks like wires had been moved around in the car" but i PROFESSIONALLY had speakers installed and it was nowhere near the area. guess ill try calling VWoA :-/

Toddski

Passed Driver's Ed
Been keeping an eye on this issue.
Looks like most GTI's with the issue are those of you in warmer climates. Possibly glue separation due to the warm weather?

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Long island gets hot and humid. I've seen this a few times on jettas mostly and they were covered under warranty.

lawn mower

Banned
The recall was for jetta's, alot of them had this issue, havent seen a sagging headliner on a gti yet, this is the first for me.