GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bit of a problem...

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Just noticed this earlier today.

Would much appreciate if anyone could shed some light on whats happening in this video.

Way this started is that I noticed a bit of smoke in rear view mirror hitting WOT while getting on the highway. Nothing unusual, as I've seen a puff of black smoke before while hitting WOT. So after I got where I was going, I ran up the RPM's some while in neutral. This is when I noticed this screech. Seems to be easy to replicate. No CEL.

Car is a Mk5 FSI with full APR K04 package and all supporting mods. About 8k on the K04. All street, no track at all.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Kinda sounds cam related

That doesn't sound good... literally.

Any chance you can be a bit more specific?

I was going to TyrolSport next week over another unrelated matter anyway. Now wondering if I should get there sooner.

Not looking for remote diagnosis. Just trying to get a sense of what I'm in for.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Turbo or cam related probably. Either way, drive the car nicer and get to a mechanic.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Turbo or cam related probably. Either way, drive the car nicer and get to a mechanic.

Yep, got an appointment at TyrolSport next week to check it out.

In meantime I've been trying to narrow it down a bit just to try and figure out if the car is safe to drive for now.

Sound is definitely coming from front right side of the motor and will only happen if you rev up past 5k fast. Rev up slow, no screech.

I'm wondering if it may be belt/pulleys or ac compressor bearing or something like that.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
noise

Yep, got an appointment at TyrolSport next week to check it out.

In meantime I've been trying to narrow it down a bit just to try and figure out if the car is safe to drive for now.

Sound is definitely coming from front right side of the motor and will only happen if you rev up past 5k fast. Rev up slow, no screech.

I'm wondering if it may be belt/pulleys or ac compressor bearing or something like that.

Sounds like the timing belt walking and hitting the Timing cover, when was the timing belt done?
Nurse the car and don't push it until your appointment, Your in good hands with Mike P and his crew @ TyrolSport will get you all fixed up . Bob.G

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Thanks guys.

Mike @ TyrolSport is awesome. Was kind enough to check out the vid when I emailed him. Other guys in the area, you cant even get them to give you a quote for some work over email.

Haven't done timing belt yet since car only has 73k on it. My understanding is that VW calls for timing belt to be done @ 100k+. Although I heard that some people do it before 100k.

Any timing belt issue sounds way scary since timing belt going would wreck motor.

Should I tow it in? Or am I oversimplifying?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
noise

Thanks guys.

Mike @ TyrolSport is awesome. Was kind enough to check out the vid when I emailed him. Other guys in the area, you cant even get them to give you a quote for some work over email.

Haven't done timing belt yet since car only has 73k on it. My understanding is that VW calls for timing belt to be done @ 100k+. Although I heard that some people do it before 100k.

Any timing belt issue sounds way scary since timing belt going would wreck motor.

Should I tow it in? Or am I oversimplifying?

The T belt is rubber and age plays big role ,going on 8 years , old not just miles . If your close you will prob be OK if you go easy, its judgement call

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
The T belt is rubber and age plays big role ,going on 8 years , old not just miles . If your close you will prob be OK if you go easy, its judgement call

Makes sense. I actually got some quotes last year for a tbelt swap. Average seems to be around $700 + this kit .

I'm about 10 miles away and I didn't hear this screech at all while driving. My "testing" uncovered it. Wondering now if I did any damage with my "testing".

While on the subject... For a while now I have been noticing rather harder than usual cold starts similar to this video. I figured it was due to cold weather. Now I'm thinking that tbelt might be the reason for those as well. Since a tbelt thats going could cause retarded ignition timing. I don't have the chirping sound like in the video though.

Last edited:

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Haven't done timing belt yet since car only has 73k on it.

I had my timing belt done at Tyrol Sport at 80K. Those guys are great and they really know our cars. I probably could've let it go a bit longer but wanted piece of mind since the car is 8 years old. You could always have them look at it and let you know if they think you can let it go another 10-15K.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I've done my T-belt twice @ 60k and 120k miles. I'm not messing around with that...if it were a chain it would be different.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
I've done my T-belt twice @ 60k and 120k miles. I'm not messing around with that...if it were a chain it would be different.

Quite a chunk of change... But I suppose its one of those things that its best to be safe than sorry.

Will definitely have them check it tomorrow. Will update as to whats causing this screech when its ID'ed.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
UPDATE

Screech is caused by alternator bearing. Good news I suppose, since its not the timing belt. However, now I need a new alternator + timing belt.

Ehhh....