GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Numbers

I will be getting flash tuned in the next week or so. I have a GIAC dealer here in town that would be most ideal for getting tuned. But after looking at AWE Tunings Website they list a Flash tune as only 30HP at the crank. Is this true? APR advertises a 50HP gain at the crank. There is an APR dealer about an hour away that I can go to, but was curious if anyone knows one way or the other. Is there really a 20HP difference between the two? I have used the search as well, but everything I am coming up with says that the power output is pretty identical. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

g2.0ti

Ready to race!
Maybe theyre advertising 30 whp?

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
don't mind what the tuners will advertise. if you go directly to GIAC's website, they advertise anywhere from 20-50hp. the chips all offer about the same increase, your greatest concern when choosing should be dealers, features, availability of stage 2, etc. remember that these tuners are the same people who regularly advertise +10hp from intakes, in general it is their job to use scummy tactics to convince people their products are the best. so a better indication of what these products really do is reviews and dyno tests from actual customers

but even 20-50HP...thats a pretty broad range. I mean what are people who are using GIAC getting from a stage one flash? I had GIAC on my MKIV and loved it, but thats been three years ago. I just dont want to drop 500 bux on GIAC and get 20-30HP less than I could get with the same money over at APR.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
they advertise the broad range because of multiple things. for one in California we only get 91, and you can get higher numbers on 93 and so forth. also, every GTI is different, and it's not like every single GTI that gets the flash is going to get exactly 44.2235 hp or whatever. throw in the fact that some people get flashed from stock, others get flashed when they are already modded, etc. and you can see that they have to advertise a broad range so that no one comes in expecting +50hp and then flips out when they get +40.

this all goes for every chip: in reality, APR should also be advertising a range of numbers instead of one single value. trust me, you are NEVER going to get a 20-30hp difference between chips unless something is extremely odd with the car. in some cases, I've seen people get higher numbers with GIAC, in others, people with higher numbers with APR, with Revo, etc. But even though people get different numbers, the key point is that the difference is MARGINAL in all cases. that's why I stress dealer location, features, etc. is more important than outright numbers.

also, if you want to know what people are getting with GIAC, search for yourself, no one is going to take the time to search for you. also check the 2.0 forums on vortex, they have a lot of member dynos.

DerekH

Ready to race!
Dont they have demos? That you try for a couple hours of drive time and then they uninstall themselves. Or is this an old thing?

tehwhiteegg

White Egg
Car(s)
2006 mkv gti
making my decision as well now. Prolly gonna go with GIAC but yeah I'm pretty sure that they still do. I called locally by home and the uni dealer closest to me said he could give me a trial.

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
I did GIAC 91oct 3 years ago only because I decided to go 'then' with AWE K04 turbo when I could. I never dyno'd before I put the big turbo on, but the power was strong. My best 1/4mile with the flash and intake is 14.182 @ 98.9. All my runs fell between that time and 14.5's.