GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting rid of my MK6 to buy an R32 (not the VW kind either)

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Keeping this semi-necro thread alive for updates. Really curious to see if the R32 is going to make it to the US.

It's crazy that the R34 is all over place and relatively cheap in other countries like Australia and wherever else. But in the US, it's the holy grail import car that will almost never be...

At least we have the Supra that costs five arms and legs.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
how the hell... is a twin turbo inline 6 all wheel drive all wheel steering two door sport car cheaper to insure then an econobox with a tiny turbo. hahaha

The AWD is safer. :)

OR...the insurance company has no idea what they are actually insuring. :iono:

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Keeping this semi-necro thread alive for updates. Really curious to see if the R32 is going to make it to the US.

It's crazy that the R34 is all over place and relatively cheap in other countries like Australia and wherever else. But in the US, it's the holy grail import car that will almost never be...

At least we have the Supra that costs five arms and legs.

If you think Supras are expensive you should look at the prices of LEGAL R34s (mainly imported by motorex) Their are very very few in the US (I think less than 15) and they ALL go for anywhere from 60k-150k.

So the R32 I originally posted fell through on me, had to pay off some debt first. Now I've got most of the money saved up for the GT-R I want, trying to find out if the guy who was originally going to buy it has fully backed out yet. If he has I'll be putting down a deposit and It will be arriving in October! It seems like a long time to wait but I'm deployed until July anyways. :/

Also I will be keeping the GTI now (part of the reason it took me a little longer to save up enough for the GT-R) although I did part the GTI now all the way back to stock. It'll be worth it all in the end!

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
If you think Supras are expensive you should look at the prices of LEGAL R34s (mainly imported by motorex) Their are very very few in the US (I think less than 15) and they ALL go for anywhere from 60k-150k.

So the R32 I originally posted fell through on me, had to pay off some debt first. Now I've got most of the money saved up for the GT-R I want, trying to find out if the guy who was originally going to buy it has fully backed out yet. If he has I'll be putting down a deposit and It will be arriving in October! It seems like a long time to wait but I'm deployed until July anyways. :/

Also I will be keeping the GTI now (part of the reason it took me a little longer to save up enough for the GT-R) although I did part the GTI now all the way back to stock. It'll be worth it all in the end!

Sorry it fell through that sucks.

Get a 1990 if you can though (we can now as long as its Jan, Feb March build date), I don't think they have the oil pump failure problem that some of the 89's had.

God damn do I want an R34. I would traffic significant quantities of schedule 1 substances for a legit one.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Haha, yeah the one I'm looking at now is an October 1990 build date, all I should have to do to keep it reliable is add the oil orifice restrictor to limit the oil going to the head, change oil and filter, change belts and I'm sure a few of the plastic cooling hoses are worn out.

I'd love an R34, but I'll pass on owning a grey market one and just wait a few more years lol

Insurance on these is likely cheaper for a couple reasons.

-The insurance company is not familiar with the car you're insuring and is filing it under Nissan "Other+" which includes but is not limited to most of the pre-1995 Nissans not on their filing.

-The insurance company is filing the car under "classic" status, which means the plate will say "Classic" and any car deemed so in an accident is just written off for an estimated value. Whether that be the KBB, the value you paid for it plus depreciation, or the current value worldwide is subject to the insurance company's policies on classic cars.

Those are just a few reasons that come to mind. Most classic cars are not purchased by reckless kids, and depending on safety features, and ratings, they might end up estimating a cheaper rate. Suffice to say, enough kids get their hands on these and wreck them and then look for a $15k payout, your rates will go up.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Dang, car I was going to buy got bought before I could pick it up. People are able to get loans for these cars now through classic car finance companies now, so the market choices seems to be getting thinned out now. I refuse to get a loan for this car, would much rather pay cash.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
golf
Dang, car I was going to buy got bought before I could pick it up. People are able to get loans for these cars now through classic car finance companies now, so the market choices seems to be getting thinned out now. I refuse to get a loan for this car, would much rather pay cash.

smart man, pay cash for a >20 year old car...just wait for the right one :thumbsup:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
-The insurance company is filing the car under "classic" status, which means the plate will say "Classic" and any car deemed so in an accident is just written off for an estimated value.

Insurance has nothing to do with the plates assigned to the car, that's done by the state. Some states have COLLECTOR plates which come with some benefits for emissions tests and registration, but also a mileage restriction. Nothing to do with insurance though.

Stated value on the insurance on cars like this are always your best choice. Read the endorsement carefully, be sure you understand how it works. It should be designed so that in the case of a loss they just pay you that stated value, no valuations or market reports needed. Your premium will be based on that stated value.

I would still think cash would be king, but good luck finding one man.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
So after a lot of thinking and looking at my finances I have three options
A-I can get a budget bin GT-R that will probably need some rust repair and some mechanical work, also may have been previously beaten on
B-Get a cherry perfect R32 GTST
C-S13 Silvia with an OEM SR20 redtop

I'm really leaning to the S13, parts would be easy to get as the car was also sold in the US and SR20 swaps have been big here for a long time. If I bought the GTST I have a feeling I'd end up kicking myself for not getting the bargin bin GTR. If I got the GTR I'd have a feeling I'd hate all the downtime it would end up having :/