GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Sounds like you got bamboozled by the dealer into the expensive alignment.

How are you at -2.4 on the Eurosport kit??

Sounds like he's super low too. Camber decreases (or rather, negative camber increases) as you move through suspension travel, so if he's slammed he could be getting another .8 deg through that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Never ceases to amaze me how little you understand things, while acting like you know everything. The lower the car, the more static negative camber you get. He's not claiming -2.4 at stock ride height.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Never ceases to amaze me how little you understand things, while acting like you know everything. The lower the car, the more static negative camber you get. He's not claiming -2.4 at stock ride height.
You can't get that much camber out of the car even with Eurosport kit unless you have full CS/sp parts. Not to mention hes lowered at most 0.8" per KW spec for that kit so thats not slammed by any means.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I wonder about the comment, ”the more you lower, the more static camber”. At least on a strut car. Once the LCA goes horizontal, isn't anything further reducing static?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can't get that much camber out of the car even with Eurosport kit unless you have full CS/sp parts. Not to mention hes lowered at most 0.8" per KW spec for that kit so thats not slammed by any means.

Tell VW that. CSS hubs added -0.8 on top of the GTI's stock -0.9. They achieved -2 in front with a 5mm drop with R springs.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wonder about the comment, ”the more you lower, the more static camber”. At least on a strut car. Once the LCA goes horizontal, isn't anything further reducing static?

Do you have the camber curve? I'm not sure that's true.

Yes, until the LCA is level.

Last edited:

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
Any cons to these?

None that I've noticed. Maybe that they only offer them in one particular spring rate, although it works well with all three DCC modes. Very happy with the KW H.A.S. kit.

:rolleyes: If by bamboozled you mean fixing the harsh ride condition in all DCC modes and recalibrating the ACC so it works correctly which happens to include an alignment then yes I was bamboozled.

Nothing magical...

Sounds like he's super low too.

I wouldn't call it slammed or super low...but as low as I want to go, yes.

Never ceases to amaze me how little you understand things, while acting like you know everything.

It's the internet, some people need the attention.

Pretty simple. You're wrong...you can, and I did.

Agree, it's not slammed but it is at the limit of where I prefer it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With a 1 inch drop on a GTI PP, I was -1.9 on one side, -2 on the other with the Eurosport camber kit. Zero added NVH, but you'll have to use a different camber solution if you want more than that. I'm up in the air as to whether that's enough.

It also makes -2.4 seem pretty reasonable with some of the other solutions, as they add significantly more neg camber than the Eurosport kit.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
With a 1 inch drop on a GTI PP, I was -1.9 on one side, -2 on the other with the Eurosport camber kit. Zero added NVH, but you'll have to use a different camber solution if you want more than that. I'm up in the air as to whether that's enough.

It also makes -2.4 seem pretty reasonable with some of the other solutions, as they add significantly more neg camber than the Eurosport kit.
I find for a Street/Track fixed setup, -2 does a decent job at mitigating outside edge scrubbing at the track while preserving the tire’s inner tread for daily driving.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
With a 1 inch drop on a GTI PP, I was -1.9 on one side, -2 on the other with the Eurosport camber kit. Zero added NVH, but you'll have to use a different camber solution if you want more than that.

I'd be willing to bet there's more on the table. Did you do the camber kit install or have a shop do it?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Well that sucks, I was only able to get -2.1 with the fixed camber plates once I put the deadset kit in and this is lowered on Racingline springs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd be willing to bet there's more on the table. Did you do the camber kit install or have a shop do it?

I did it. They are not really adjustable , so not sure how I could have gotten move. Eurosport claims -0.8. Stock was -0.9. I'm not mathematician, but without lowering, that would have been -1.7 ish and I'm seeing -2 ish with a 1" drop. I'd love to get -2.5, but I don't want the NVH of solid camber plates. My goal is to build something similar to the CSS. I might add the CSS hubs though and switch from APR springs to Golf R springs. I think with the Eurosport camber kit, I will be around -2.5ish.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I did it. They are not really adjustable , so not sure how I could have gotten move. Eurosport claims -0.8. Stock was -0.9. I'm not mathematician, but without lowering, that would have been -1.7 ish and I'm seeing -2 ish with a 1" drop. I'd love to get -2.5, but I don't want the NVH of solid camber plates. My goal is to build something similar to the CSS. I might add the CSS hubs though and switch from APR springs to Golf R springs. I think with the Eurosport camber kit, I will be around -2.5ish.

Great! Technically they are adjustable but it will change caster as well. They are "adjustable" in that you can end up with less camber than what they are capable of if they aren't installed at the position that gives them the greatest amount of camber (closest to the centerline of the car). Even a slight rotation in the wrong direction can reduce the amount of camber you will see. Aside from that I asked if you installed them because there is some camber to be gained from the play that exists in the ball joint mounting studs as well as the upper strut bearing bolts. So since you installed them you'd know if that was something that you paid attention to or not. If not, that is where I expected that you would gain the missing -.4 degrees of camber. Make sure the ball joints are pulled outward when tightening, and the strut bearing pushed inward when tightening.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Great! Technically they are adjustable but it will change caster as well. They are "adjustable" in that you can end up with less camber than what they are capable of if they aren't installed at the position that gives them the greatest amount of camber (closest to the centerline of the car). Even a slight rotation in the wrong direction can reduce the amount of camber you will see. Aside from that I asked if you installed them because there is some camber to be gained from the play that exists in the ball joint mounting studs as well as the upper strut bearing bolts. So since you installed them you'd know if that was something that you paid attention to or not. If not, that is where I expected that you would gain the missing -.4 degrees of camber. Make sure the ball joints are pulled outward when tightening, and the strut bearing pushed inward when tightening.

I'll do that, thanks. Do you really think .4 with just that wiggle room? I've tried the same over the years with many autocross cars, and never saw that much. I'm going to leave it as is until I do the first autocross as it is, because I don't want to take advantage of the shop that does my alignments. I bought a lifetime alignment and they don't hassle me about letting me experiment with assignments, but I try not to do more than once a month and I always tip the guy doing the alignment. I'll try it and report back.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
One more thing, I didn't cut the bump stops and I'm trying to decide whether to do so or not. I usually would, but I've read a lot of conflicting opinions with the mk7.

I don't really care about shock life, I'm eventually doing coils, but I'm thinking more travel before hitting bump stops would be better for handling.