GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
You daily this?
You bet, but I also don't really put many miles on in a year anyways especially during winter.

Don't worry, you get used to it (the power) after a while.
Almost afraid of that tbh. The pure intensity of the thrust it generates without lag is violent. I love it.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Just wild. I've always thought there should be a 5 cylinder or a VR6 in the R. Sweet.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Almost afraid of that tbh. The pure intensity of the thrust it generates without lag is violent. I love it.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love driving my car because of the power and how much fun it is but it's a vicious cycle. With power comes the craving for MORE POWER!!! After a while you get used to the power and so you ask your tuner to turn it up. Tuner adds more boost and timing to satisfy the thirst. Get used to new power, go back to tuner asking for more. Tuner says that you are tapped out and you reply with "Not for long!" Go online to buy a bigger turbo and start the vicious cycle all over again.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Oh don't get me wrong, I love driving my car because of the power and how much fun it is but it's a vicious cycle. With power comes the craving for MORE POWER!!! After a while you get used to the power and so you ask your tuner to turn it up. Tuner adds more boost and timing to satisfy the thirst. Get used to new power, go back to tuner asking for more. Tuner says that you are tapped out and you reply with "Not for long!" Go online to buy a bigger turbo and start the vicious cycle all over again.
#facts

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Is it 550 ft-lbs at the crank or at the wheels?
They typically measure from the crank, so I would assume this is the same. Maybe Jonathan can add to it when they're back from the break.

I know the argument will obviously be made that sure there are other ways to make the same power and torque. It's just a number on a chart, and does not speak to the delivery of power across the whole RPM range. Everyone chases power, and the emotions their vehicle makes to their own taste. This was exactly what I wanted.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
They typically measure from the crank, so I would assume this is the same. Maybe Jonathan can add to it when they're back from the break.

I know the argument will obviously be made that sure there are other ways to make the same power and torque. It's just a number on a chart, and does not speak to the delivery of power across the whole RPM range. Everyone chases power, and the emotions their vehicle makes to their own taste. This was exactly what I wanted.
Hard to argue with VR6 noises vs. 4cyl. Was some time ago, but a good friend of mine boosted his Mk4 VR6 Jetta. He sort of went to the moon with it and got carried away, building the block and baffled oil pan, oil cooler, bigger rad. and I think a 6266 Precision Turbo along with other supporting mods. It was a very long list. His final tune on E85 belched out a whopping 712hp (93 was 622 I think). I believe it made a magazine feature, but I don't recall which one. I rode in it only once and swore I died and was reincarnated somewhere during the ride. That thing was a monster. He doesnt drive it anymore, sort of just hangs out in his shop while he works on his E36 M3 with a 1JZ and M4 DCT swap.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

hopefully. they never answered any of my questions about it (not important enough I guess).

since it's 550 on 93, I'm sure it would be wild on real fuel. I assume whatever software they're using lacks a flex-fuel patch. main thing is that the powerband is probably a lot wider with an extra 25% displacement. hard to beat that.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
@EpicTech that sounds like an absolute savage animal of a car. I have to go for a ride in the red HPA FTX740 some day, the one of smoking tire fame.

since it's 550 on 93, I'm sure it would be wild on real fuel. I assume whatever software they're using lacks a flex-fuel patch. main thing is that the powerband is probably a lot wider with an extra 25% displacement. hard to beat that.
Yes, there's super conservative timing in it, and a race fuel or e-blend can stretch it way way further for sure. I really want them to release a dyno plot for it: I keep egging them on for it, too. I have full torque around 4000 RPM and slowly tapers down to 7200 RPM red line or so. The torque ramp up is extreme with the turbo spooling very very quickly.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
So as promised here's my terrible GoPro footage. On winters, in the wet.

Was using the phone for camera remote and apparently there's huge delay, and I wasn't paying attention to when it was properly recording or not. Alas, here's two quick pulls. When it's dry out (if that ever happens this winter, thanks PNW) I'll repeat the experiment with a better angle/longer arm on the gopro.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Holy crap that sounds GORGEOUS…what a beast. Crazy acceleration
And this was me spinning through 2nd and 3rd gear. Really curious to see what we'll get for 1/4 mile eventually.