GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Wheel Bearing

LW_Black4

Corner exit is king!
Car(s)
white '07 GTI
We're getting lots of noise on the '07 GTI front wheel bearing so it needs to be replaced.

We've replace the other front wheel bearing in the shop before and a rear wheel bearing in the driveway. The GTI has 140,000 km on it.

Is a front wheel bearing a practical DIY project or best left for a shop? I don't know whether it's a press fit or not, but the bearing bolts are torque to yield.

Also, is there a Service Manual available for download or online access?

LW_Black4

Corner exit is king!
Car(s)
white '07 GTI
Thanks eurocars,

Is the front bearing held on by a torque-to-yield bolt with an especially large triple square socket?

That's what I recall of the rear.

LW_Black4

Corner exit is king!
Car(s)
white '07 GTI
Here's the manual procedure, and thankfully it doesn't include press-fitting the bearing so it can be a DIY job:

Attachments

• '07 GTI wheel bearing repair (2).jpg
    '07 GTI wheel bearing repair (2).jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 463
  • '07 GTI wheel bearing repair.jpg
    '07 GTI wheel bearing repair.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 479

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I know, why doesn't everybody bolt them on?

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
We're getting lots of noise on the '07 GTI front wheel bearing so it needs to be replaced.

We've replace the other front wheel bearing in the shop before and a rear wheel bearing in the driveway. The GTI has 140,000 km on it.

Is a front wheel bearing a practical DIY project or best left for a shop? I don't know whether it's a press fit or not, but the bearing bolts are torque to yield.

Also, is there a Service Manual available for download or online access?

I paid $8 CDN each for those triple square bolts for the wheel bearing. It was not cheap but better safe than sorry.

The wheel bearing assembly itself may be seized onto the spindle. Ask me how I know...