GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found front passenger side rattle

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
This screw was so loose that the washer was rattling on it:

I also tightened these up a bit in the glove box:

My rear passenger door rattled so I applied some foamy padding all around, following the TSB (http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html) as a guide, applied painters tape before removal, and then applied the foamy door seal material according to the painters tape, came out clean looking.

You can't even see the padding in this photo:

Now if I could only solve the rear seat in the locked position rattle....

newmk5

fuel line rattle

After 4 trips to three dealers to have a rattle at the passenger floorboard when the engine idling fixed, I got to work on google and diagnosed that it was probably the fuel line rattling. When I went to the dealer today and told them I suspected this, they found a technical bulletin whose description is "fuel line resonance perceived as rattling noise from passenger side floor/dash area." The number is 20 06 04. This is an update to an earlier tech bulletin from March 30, 2006!!! I really wonder how exactly these guys "diagnose" these days. I mean all the arguements I've had with service reps who have insisted on changing other parts (including the serpintine belt tensioner) and tightning bolts inside the car when from the beginning I've said the sound is at the floorboard, and is louder if I climb under the car and listen in this same area!! Hope this helps. I was freaking out because I am at 11,000 miles, and they were telling me the warranty only covers squeaks and rattles (not described in a service bulletin) for the first 12,000 miles, and after that it would be on my dime.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
I've heard some say the rear locked seat rattle is a seatbelt mechanism in the C-pillar assembly. That'd be pretty awful if true.

Froster

Passed Driver's Ed
I took the panels off both end of the dash, tightened every screw I could see, and then did the same for the glovebox screws. None of them were so loose that they were falling out, but all of them could be tightened. Once that was done, interior rattles were 85% better. The only thing that I have left is the fuel line rattle (which will be looked at next week now that there is a campaign about it), the seat belt rattle, and the speaker rattle. I'll get the speaker dealt with next week at the dealer, but I have no ideas about the seatbelt tensioner.

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
I've heard some say the rear locked seat rattle is a seatbelt mechanism in the C-pillar assembly. That'd be pretty awful if true.

I sprayed some silicone lube into the mechanism inside the seat and it quieted down. but after some time it comes back.

some people on uk forums have solved their problem by putting a sock in between the mechanism and bracket. others say to just put the seat back but not completely engage the locking mechanism, hence the little thing sticks up beside the headrest.

NJGTI

BOOSTAHOLIC!
Car(s)
MKV 06 DSG GTI
Zither99, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
that rattling was getting on my nerves.
that screw was so lose it wasn't funny

wob005

wob005
Car(s)
Golf mkV (proudly)
HI, i need help if someone could help me i bought a set of GTI Mk5 seats and the middle rear seatbelt (the one in the rear seat) was cut off could someone tell me how can i open the seat to put a new one, some photos would be better THANK YOU