GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found a crack in my paint.

Briggs253

I washed the car today and noticed about a inch long crack in the paint on my hood. It's enough to feel with your fingernail.

Car has never been in an accident, and I've never come out to find that anything heavy has fallen on the car. Paint looks normal around the crack.

Will VW help me out here? Is this something I can fix myself? I don't know if it's all the way through the clear, but I noticed it because it seems that dirt is kind of getting in there. It's an 06 with 51K miles, and I purchased the 6 year, 75K mile extended warranty if that makes a difference.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure it's a crack and not a scratch? I know you mentioned you could feel it with your fingernail but it seems abnormal that your paint would crack without any damage.

Also, I don't believe VW would cover something like this unless it is a manufacturer defect that causes it to crack.

Briggs253

Are you sure it's a crack and not a scratch? I know you mentioned you could feel it with your fingernail but it seems abnormal that your paint would crack without any damage.

Also, I don't believe VW would cover something like this unless it is a manufacturer defect that causes it to crack.

I can't be 100% sure, but it has that look to it, like a river would look on a map if that makes sense, so it's quite curvy. And you can see on one end where the crack gets less severe and it gets back into regular, undamaged paint. I'll have to look at it again, but I thought I could even tell that the two sides were at different elevations in relation to the hood panel.

Well, thanks for the reply, I'll probably just cover it with touch up paint for now and keep an eye on it.

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
photo please :)

kicku9

MKV OLDMAN
Car(s)
09 white MKV
The paint is cover for certain amount of time think its 5 years. Call your dealer and ask. I had a flaw on my driver door and they fixed it for free.

Briggs253

Damn, I threw some touch up paint on there because some dirt was getting into the crack. So pictures won't show anything, but I'll call the dealer and see what they say.

MercuryECS

Winning
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
I had a chip on the hood and they were going to cover it, but I told them not too because I could do it better with the VW Touch Up Kit. So, they would have, had I wanted them too.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
i thought the same thing, we had 5 years on our paint for warreny and then i walked into my vw asking for help they laughed.. "warranty on paint, not in spain" but it seems time after time your dealers have got the rite idea with customer service.. that phrase does not exist in this country, (unless its my company that is)
i wana see pics............ even if it has been filled with touch up.. as i agree, it sounds like a scratch, either that or u have filler under there and it is cracking thru... there is no reason for that to happen other wise.. on factory paint any way....