GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST First Drive (Taking Stabs at the GTI)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Agree. Days of VW having a huge advantage with interior material quality is long over. They certainly don't have the power advantage. Looks is about all that is left. Seriously hope they keep up with that trend for the mkvii.

The new Passat interior isn't that bad, certainly not like the Jetta. IMO I'd be perfectly content with a US/Mexico GTI with the same level of interior build as the current Passat....if it means that the price can be kept low enough to compete...

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Wow, optioned out to match an Autobahn, it's $29,825 — just about the same price. I think it's a good looking car, and it's do doubt going to fun to drive. I think Ford has done one hell of a job refreshing their designs and making better vehicles, but it seems like a stretch to ask $30k for a fully loaded Focus. I'd have to drive one to really judge though. I just have trouble believing that it's really as high of quality and as nice as an Autobahn GTI.

Still, looks like a cool little hatch.

krische

vdubber in training
The new Passat interior isn't that bad, certainly not like the Jetta. IMO I'd be perfectly content with a US/Mexico GTI with the same level of interior build as the current Passat....if it means that the price can be kept low enough to compete...

Or if the decreased manufacturing costs mean they can give you more for the same price.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
No.
Don't care how well it performs, it's a jelly bean.

tzd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 2.5L 2-door
I've driven a rental Ford Focus and there is really nothing nice about it. I'll say the Chevy Cruze is better than the Focus.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
1. No not tempted
2. Its a Ford
3. Its a Ford
4. No soul, no history, all hype and they are dime a dozen here in Europe all ready(current gen Focus).

McQueen77

Banned
right, and its a ford. paying close to $30k for a ford that isn't a fully loaded F150 or something that you plan to haul concrete with is sheer stupidity.

Halvie

WOOSA

Not saying our interiors are bad. I like the looks of mine a lot. The build quality...is alright. Just gets annoying with the constant digs on other cars that have relatively equal or better interior quality.

chilli42

Ready to race!
1. No not tempted
2. Its a Ford
3. Its a Ford
4. No soul, no history, all hype and they are dime a dozen here in Europe all ready(current gen Focus).

Love my VW GTI, but to say that Ford has no history is just plain ignorant. They have much more racing history than VW if you care to be factual. From a consumer point of view, are you also forgetting the Ford/Cosworth partnership... Some of the most iconic hot small cars.

No soul is at least a personal opinion.

Zepharus

Ready to race!
Soundaktor anyone?

gh-Performance Exhaust System
Growls Confidently

The muscular high-performance exhaust system peeks out through a central dual-pipe design at the rear of the vehicle. It’s tuned to deliver a confident growl under power. And to help make sure you hear that rumble of excitement coming from under the hood, the Focus ST is equipped with a sound symposer box. It’s designed to enrich the natural sounds of the vehicle by capturing internal engine oscillations and piping them through the interior.
Coming late 2012.

chilli42

Ready to race!
gh-Performance Exhaust System
Growls Confidently

The muscular high-performance exhaust system peeks out through a central dual-pipe design at the rear of the vehicle. It’s tuned to deliver a confident growl under power. And to help make sure you hear that rumble of excitement coming from under the hood, the Focus ST is equipped with a sound symposer box. It’s designed to enrich the natural sounds of the vehicle by capturing internal engine oscillations and piping them through the interior.
Coming late 2012.

The 2012 GTI also does this....

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
What's with all of the Ford hate? I think they make and have made good cars for the most part. VW has made plenty of shitboxes as well and was plagued with reliability and quality issues for years. Also, I kind of think the argument that paying almost $30k for a focus is ridiculous. Aren't loaded Autobahns like $31k? I think a base GTI for $23k is a much better deal which is why I have one, but I would consider buying a this Focus, an STI, a Golf R, any number of $30k and more "economy" cars. I think tey're fun and cool and I wouldn't want to drive a BMW or Audi anyway. To each his own, but I look forward to seeing some user reviews and comparisons of this car!

dwagner88

Ready to race!
Who said ford has no history?

They essentially invented the mass production car.

And in response to the thread, yes, I'm very tempted, and I absolutely would have bought one over the GTI. It takes a perfect middle ground between the rawness of the MS3, and the civility of the GTI. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the front grille.