GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitting a tsi k03 to an fsi k03

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
I spoke with the unitronic tuner over here that fitted a IHI to a 2+ unitronic car and it gained 10hp 30nm by just fitting the turbo, he did not play around with the map at all.

I have a forge twin, s3 cooler and wmi along with a autotech pump and 2+ revo file. I have some very knowledgeable people helping me out which are tuners and engineers. I'm confident that I can make this work really well. As I said, my turbo is a little tired and I got this turbo for next to nothing plus it only did 17 000km

Savir04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07'/CW/6MT/FSI
good luck raun, i really wanna see how that IHI chokes up top compared to how the BWk03 chokes up top....very interesting stuff....i still havent installed my replacement BWk03...soon enought thou....what tune are your going to run?

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
good luck raun, i really wanna see how that IHI chokes up top compared to how the BWk03 chokes up top....very interesting stuff....i still havent installed my replacement BWk03...soon enought thou....what tune are your going to run?

Thanks man! Like I said over here we already have 3 different tuning companies running IHI's on their software with unitronic being one of them! I'd hazard a guess and say a HPFP upgrade would be neccesary. I'm on a revo2+ file and am running B9 T7 F7 on daily settings at altitude. On B9 my current k03 struggles to reach 1.3bar even though the map is requesting 1.5bar, so my turbo is probably a little tired. I installed a forge twin cooler last weekend and I have a full exhaust setup and s3 cooler with aftermarket throttle pipe and WMI....so I am pretty fully loaded.

I'm gonna start off at B5 T5 F7 and log and move up in settings as I log the car. I'd be happy at B9 T8 F7

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I spoke with the unitronic tuner over here that fitted a IHI to a 2+ unitronic car and it gained 10hp 30nm by just fitting the turbo, he did not play around with the map at all.

This does not necessarily mean the turbo is better. It could mean that the wastegate is calibrated differently. If significant horsepower is gained, it's likely that the turbo is being overdriven. Now, I don't know what *significant* is...10hp might be below that threshold.

mushages

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTi DSG
Interested to see the results as I got Avery cheap IHI turbo

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
This does not necessarily mean the turbo is better. It could mean that the wastegate is calibrated differently. If significant horsepower is gained, it's likely that the turbo is being overdriven. Now, I don't know what *significant* is...10hp might be below that threshold.

The bigger tuners have all come out and said the IHI turbo is indeed smaller. I distinctly remember a post on Audizine by Keith@APR stating the IHI turbo is not as efficient.

It's not just 10bhp difference and even if it were 10bhp is enough reason for me to not go out of my way to run a smaller turbo.

The difference is the FSI making 10bhp with a lesser engine. The BW K03 makes up the difference from the engine management, timing accuracy, head flow and intake manifold flow and THEN makes an extra 10bhp and more torque.

EVERY tuner makes more power with the TSI on an equivalent turbo, what does this tell you? Yet with the FSI w/ BW K03 and the TSI with IHI the FSI will make more power. It's not a complicated situation.

You won't listen to anybody about this and it will never be proven because you don't have an identical set up with a healthy BW K03 vs IHI.

Let's say intake, TBE, S3 IC, WMI, upgraded charge piping and aggressive Revo SPS+ settings you do 260-265whp. Take this same set up with the IHI and I guarantee 240-255whp. If you're BW K03 couldn't maintain boost and the turbo was going out or you had a boost leak you'll probably make the same power with the IHI and that will be enough to convince you that you were right but it isn't the case.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
The bigger tuners have all come out and said the IHI turbo is indeed smaller. I distinctly remember a post on Audizine by Keith@APR stating the IHI turbo is not as efficient.

It's not just 10bhp difference and even if it were 10bhp is enough reason for me to not go out of my way to run a smaller turbo.

The difference is the FSI making 10bhp with a lesser engine. The BW K03 makes up the difference from the engine management, timing accuracy, head flow and intake manifold flow and THEN makes an extra 10bhp and more torque.

EVERY tuner makes more power with the TSI on an equivalent turbo, what does this tell you? Yet with the FSI w/ BW K03 and the TSI with IHI the FSI will make more power. It's not a complicated situation.

You won't listen to anybody about this and it will never be proven because you don't have an identical set up with a healthy BW K03 vs IHI.

Let's say intake, TBE, S3 IC, WMI, upgraded charge piping and aggressive Revo SPS+ settings you do 260-265whp. Take this same set up with the IHI and I guarantee 240-255whp. If you're BW K03 couldn't maintain boost and the turbo was going out or you had a boost leak you'll probably make the same power with the IHI and that will be enough to convince you that you were right but it isn't the case.

Perhaps I was unclear, I was replying to someone who said the IHI turbo gains HP. My point is that if it gains horsepower it might be because of the wastegate calibration. In which case, gaining horsepower might be from overdriving the turbo.

In short, I agree with you that the K03 is bigger; I'm saying if you make more power with the IHI it is possibly symptomatic of a problem.

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
I get what you guys are saying but how would we know if we didn't take the chance and log the car and have data in front of us...? I have the turbo already and I work for my father whom owns a factory which rebuilds and fixes driveshafts on trucks and mines. We have a huge workshop with 5 lifts to work on, I have the technical knowledge and tools. I have people helping me out with logging and running different settings on the sps.
As I said there already are a few of the fsi IHI combo cars running around here, but my car would be the first revo car in the world to run an IHI. My KKK03 is tired and not reaching the numbers it should, got this at a steal so i'll just see how it goes. Either way i'm winning.

mushages

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTi DSG
I get what you guys are saying but how would we know if we didn't take the chance and log the car and have data in front of us...? I have the turbo already and I work for my father whom owns a factory which rebuilds and fixes driveshafts on trucks and mines. We have a huge workshop with 5 lifts to work on, I have the technical knowledge and tools. I have people helping me out with logging and running different settings on the sps.
As I said there already are a few of the fsi IHI combo cars running around here, but my car would be the first revo car in the world to run an IHI. My KKK03 is tired and not reaching the numbers it should, got this at a steal so i'll just see how it goes. Either way i'm winning.

Same here when will u install it and would stage 2+ revo tune work well with it?

Car(s)
Subaru

if its at a cheaper price, then id say its not a bad thing. trying to downgrade a kkk to an ihi just because is dumb. but if youre needing to replace a turbo and got that one at a good price, id say youre dumb to pass it up. im just hoping that by the time my k03 goes ill have neough money for a bt.

best of luck

MKV727

Go Kart Champion

If you're back was against the wall and you needed to replace the K03 I could understand it. It just seemed like you had an impression it was an improvement. The people with the official specs know without a doubt it is smaller turbo. A smaller turbo is a smaller turbo. There is no way to make more power with a smaller turbo if all else is equal.

Savir04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07'/CW/6MT/FSI
quik quiestion, easiest way to pull k03 out, being limited on tools...top or bottom?

mushages

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTi DSG
Bottom I guess

ghost_03

Ready to race!
quik quiestion, easiest way to pull k03 out, being limited on tools...top or bottom?

I pulled mine out from the top, following the stassis directions that are floating around on the net.

Basically, as per the directions, you remove the bottom engine mount and then pull the bottom of the engine back with a ratcheting tie-down strap. I was very weary of doing this but it worked out OK. As always, be careful and do it at your own risk.

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
Same here when will u install it and would stage 2+ revo tune work well with it?

It should, I spoke with my local revo tuner and I'll start off with B5 T5 F7 and log it and see how it goes and move up to B9 T7 F7 like I have now.