GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experiencing fuel cuts!

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Just DIY'd my timing belt and water pump. After the install, the car started up and idled just fine (so I assume the timing is correct?), but I have begun to experience fuel cuts at about 4500rpm.

The engine will also occasionally stall out when I put the car into neutral from freeway speeds.

Edit: Problem solved. The problem was that the silicone coupler for the intake system was attached to the cold air intake, but not the turbo itself. :bonk: Probably was wiggled loose while I was trying to fit the intake piping back onto the coupler after the timing belt job. Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited:

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I've never done the timing belt on my car and I have 130K. Is it safe to say that it has been done once already? I don't really know the intervals on when these need to be changed. Sorry for the thread jack.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Does he have to burp the coolant system after replacing the water pump?

If by "burp" you mean starting the car and letting the coolant warm up with the reservoir cap removed, then yeah. I did that.

I've never done the timing belt on my car and I have 130K. Is it safe to say that it has been done once already? I don't really know the intervals on when these need to be changed. Sorry for the thread jack.

It is recommended to change the timing belt every 60k in order to minimize the chances of the belt snapping (leading to bent valves, or worse). Though some people take the belts as far as 110k. The old belt I took off was the original one, and it looked like it was in perfect condition. Better safe than sorry though.

If you want to take a peek at your timing belt and get a rough idea of the condition it is in, you should be able to see it if you remove the cam sprocket cover. (This image is from the stickied timing belt DIY.)

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah that was what I meant about burping the system.

I was just reading a thread created back in 2006 that talked about the belt needing to be replaced around 90K to 100K and never to go anymore than 105K. 60K seems early.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI

I was just reading a thread created back in 2006 that talked about the belt needing to be replaced around 90K to 100K and never to go anymore than 105K. 60K seems early.

You're right, sorry. 60k is when it should be inspected for the first time.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Yes, I could look in the manual but I believe 90K is the service where timing belt etc is replaced. I will do timing belt, accessory belt rollers tensioner, water pump, thermostat and on the other side of the motor I will do timing chain and its tensioner.