GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust manifold shot, my options?

telaio

Ready to race!
I just received a call from the stealership, it seems that some part of my exhaust manifold is shot which has been causing a nasty rattling sound with low RPM lately. They recommended that I should change both the manifold and the cats and quoted some astronomical price around 3000€ for the fun! :mad0259:

What are my options here, does anyone still produce aftermarket exhaust manifolds and sport cats for the R32? I cannot go with Milltek as at least their standard system only fits their own exhaust it seems? :iono:

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
this is the first time i heard of such a problem. what exactly is the problem they say?

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
Would have to say in my few years with cars. Don't think I ever saw a manifold go bad. And a cat wouldn't need replacing unless its bad. If for instance your manifold started falling apart and got a hole or crack you would hear a very loud engine noise. If for some reason it went bad and a piece fell in your cat. And is rattling I would try removing the cat and shaking the piece out. That Is highly unlikely tho. If your expensive cat is bad it will melt in a ball and rattle. You can test it but GENTLY tapping the car with a PLASTIC hammer and see if it rattles. You usually would get a CEL if it was bad though. I find that a odd way of dishing a rattle. Kinda sounds funny.

If you like the stealer an trust them by all means go for it but I'd get a second opinion by a reputable independent.

To answer the manifold question I almost believe HPA TUNING makes one. Although there's milltek and so on. Just have to search google and read reviews on noise and qualities.

Good luck

JRutter

old man
Supersprint is made right there in Italy - not cheap, but high quality header manifold and high flow cats.

telaio

Ready to race!
There's also a language-barrier but I think that they mean the headers and the pipe where the cats are. It has been making a nasty rattling noise lately so it seems to be flexing more than normal? I'll know what is going on when I see the car on Friday.

telaio

Ready to race!
Ok so the part they claim is "broken" and causing noise are the flexible tubes that go from cats to the headers. I find this a bit suspicious as there's also noise coming from the exhaust that needs to be fixed with some welding. The flexible tubes do look a bit fuzzy but I wonder how they could be so broken that they cause me trouble? My feeling is that they misdiagnosed the source of the noise and I should be good with just welding of the exhaust.

The piece that they want me to change is 1K0 254 505 GX and since it contains the catalysators it's not cheap!

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-go...64-exhaust-pipe-with-catalyst-front-silencer/

telaio

Ready to race!
The flex bit of pipe does make a weird noise when banging it from under the car. A rattling like you are saying. I'm not convinced its been diagnosed correctly.
Did you ever hear the flex-bit getting broken? It does look a bit fluffy but as far as I can tell it's not leaking or anything.

telaio

Ready to race!

Blitzen

Professional .....
USP Motorsport just developed downpipes with high flow cats

Waterfest Pricing (see vortex) is $849

Shipping might kill it for you :(

telaio

Ready to race!
It turned out the mechanic was wrong, fixing the exhaust removed the noise completely and there's nothing wrong elsewhere. Capristo kicked ass by changing the shot silencer to a new one for free!