GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP problem...

Rennsport

Ready to race!
I got my late model 08 GTI about 3 1/2 months ago and haven't had any problems with it. However, I was driving yesterday, going around 30mph in a straight line and then all of a sudden the ESP kicked in and was interfering in an odd way (felt like it was tugging at the wheels). After about 2 seconds, the ESP automatically turned off and the light on the dashboard went on. I tried to turn the ESP back on but nothing happened. I pulled over, turned the car off and the light was gone. Then after driving normal again for a few minutes, it did the same thing. I turned off the car, turned it back on and this time the ESP stayed off. I got home and let the car sit for a few hours then decided to turn it back on. It was back to normal so I turn the car off. I get in my car today and the same thing happens again. I'm driving on the streets about 25-30mph and the ESP will start flashing and then turn off by itself and it won't go back on. Did/does anyone else have this problem? It kind of worries me that it's not just a one time thing and is reoccurring.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Besides the obvious of saying see the dealer. Check your brakes for maybe a rock or something? Do you hear any rattling when driving? ESP is electronic so your dealer will be best bet however something could be setting it off.

Rennsport

Ready to race!
Yeah, if it continues I plan on bringing it to the dealer. Problem is, I'm going to a track day on Sunday and I know they won't have time to look at it before then. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself before then. I'm concerned to bring it on the track if it continues.

ajt23

Banned
Yeah, if it continues I plan on bringing it to the dealer. Problem is, I'm going to a track day on Sunday and I know they won't have time to look at it before then. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself before then. I'm concerned to bring it on the track if it continues.

Yeah I wouldnt take it to the track if it is still acting up. It aint worth it screwing something up and you fcking up your car man. If it doesnt magically fix itself:biggrin: I would wait to take it to the dealer before you do anything out of normal drivin with it.

found

DriverFound
The computer is sensing a problem and compensating by turning ESP on. It is acting like a traction issue none the less and I think it is a malfunction in wiring or a connection. Bring it to the dealer and let them know that the car is unsafe to drive because it is correcting when it should not. Make sure you act terrified when you talk to the service writer. Tell them you want a loaner and you don't want your car back until it is fixed.

Jk about being terrified. Just bring it in and have it fixed.

Take the loaner to the track and have some fun.

Last edited:

StrangeUsername

SOCOM: Confrontation FTW
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI MkV
Maybe its a loose wire? That would explain why it sometimes comes on without any real reason.

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI

Yeah.. I'd be leery on tracking it with that unless the car runs fine.

Rennsport, can you disable it at startup and does it stay disabled with the indicator light remaining on?

As longs as it stays off when disabled, then it should be fine.

Definitely take it to the dealer though.

Rennsport

Ready to race!
Rennsport, can you disable it at startup and does it stay disabled with the indicator light remaining on?

I can turn it off on start up without any problems. The only issue is the 2-3 seconds that it interferes when there is no problem but then after that it remains off without any more interference. On a brighter note, I just came back from a 15 mile drive without any issues so hopefully it's fine now. I'll be driving a lot tomorrow before the actual track day so we'll see how that goes. I definitely will bring it up with the dealer though. Thanks for the input guys.

:bellyroll: