GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC, CEL and "Limp mode"

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
dont throw parts at the problem until you diagnose what it is. wasting money isnt a good way to learn. did you vag it? what did you come up with? aux fans can stay on even when the car is off. most manufacturers even put a warning label near thew fans to remind tech's/owners about this feature. how do you know if it is running rich? just the smell of fuel could have been coming from somewhere else (esp if you are in a repair shop). scan for codes and see what you come up with. im sure that there are plenty of local peeps that can help you out with vag-com

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
dont throw parts at the problem until you diagnose what it is. wasting money isnt a good way to learn. did you vag it? what did you come up with? aux fans can stay on even when the car is off. most manufacturers even put a warning label near thew fans to remind tech's/owners about this feature. how do you know if it is running rich? just the smell of fuel could have been coming from somewhere else (esp if you are in a repair shop). scan for codes and see what you come up with. im sure that there are plenty of local peeps that can help you out with vag-com

I understand, I did tat mistake with my sentra i owned before. Thats why i stopped after the coolant temp sensor. Havent had somebody able to vag the car yet. My friend did use he code reader from auto zone and pulled 12 codes (Didn't have time to search what they were though, we plan on doing that tomorrow morning) yes but they also can burn out the motor if left on and or kill my battery/the fuse i had to wait 3 days to get, i actually ended up pulling off the fuse so none of that happened.also today before i even put the key in the ignition (after sleeping for the night,meaning plenty of hours for the motor/coolant to cool off) i popped the hood and put the fuse on and noticed the fans kicked on right away. Because black smoke poured out of my exhaust and no other car was in the show, my dad was standing directly behind my car and smelled heavy unburned gas. back firing was occurring and that usually happens when there is unburnt fuel (Of course other reasons, but that being one of the things) (Also the fact that the Maf isn't giving any readings meaning the car isn't getting the amount of air into the motor to compensate for the fueling its supposed to have, meaning the fueling is going into the motor but the correct air mixture is not there) besides my car was the only one there and we got the smell as soon as the car finally turned on. and not whenever i turn it on i get the same smell)

Thanks for your input though, trying as i said to scan the car tomorrow and see what we pull. (Was hoping to have somebody local willing to let me try their maf and see if it changes anything, if it fixes the entire problem then obviusly i simply just have a bad maf. Doing it this way will let me find out if my parts are bad.)

Bumpp

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Hmmmm I really appreciate the help and effort.

It's very odd to know that these cars can be driven pretty much without a maf. Last time (A few months ago when i was only stage 1, i had the maf unplugged and my car didn't even want to turn on. )

I just heard back from a friend and were supposed to be vaggin my car tomorrow afternoon. Whooa whooa.

Thanks again bud.

Next time when you have a chance, do me a favor, while the car is running and warmed up unplug the maf and pay attention to how steady the motor stays.

If you could do that cool , if not then no problem. Tanks again.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Im on LI and a vw tech. Want me to take a look at the car for you?

You broke the tabs on the intercooler. This causes a hole in the cooler and causing all your problem.s

greg@podi.ca

Ready to race!
The car can run without the MAF plugged in because it goes into open loop...which means it stops using input from your sensors (maf, o2, etc.) and uses a base file map that's known to be safe. It reverts to programmed parameters.

When your car is in closed loop, it's using input from the sensors.

Unplugging the MAF is a great way to diagnose if the MAF is bad. Unplug it while the car is running and if your idle gets better, your MAF is BAD. If your idle gets worse, your MAF is GOOD.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
The car can run without the MAF plugged in because it goes into open loop...which means it stops using input from your sensors (maf, o2, etc.) and uses a base file map that's known to be safe. It reverts to programmed parameters.

When your car is in closed loop, it's using input from the sensors.

Unplugging the MAF is a great way to diagnose if the MAF is bad. Unplug it while the car is running and if your idle gets better, your MAF is BAD. If your idle gets worse, your MAF is GOOD.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

wow this is some good info, didnt know that. im gonna try this even though i dont suspect its bad just for the hell of it

greg@podi.ca

Ready to race!
wow this is some good info, didnt know that. im gonna try this even though i dont suspect its bad just for the hell of it

I don't know if this is true for the 2.0, but on my1.8t the traction control light will turn on if you unplug the MAF. It will turn itself off after a few minutes of driving once you plug the MAF back in. Just so you don't freak out if it turns on :wink:

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Unplugging the MAF is a great way to diagnose if the MAF is bad. Unplug it while the car is running and if your idle gets better, your MAF is BAD. If your idle gets worse, your MAF is GOOD.QUOTE]
Yeah, I thought i had posted that in the first post. That was actually the first thing i checked when i ran I had to pull over.

yessir, don't be surprised if you get a CEL. If you do get it for unplugging the Maf, just give it some time and it'll go away on it's own. If it doesn't and/or it bothers you too much, just either uplug your battery and let it sit unplugged for roughly 20 minutes and plug it back. It should be gone, keep in mind if your flashed with Revo(Not sure if other flashes such as APR, Giac etc. also) your most likely going to have to get it flashed again. I've had a few times where I've done those steps and I didn't notice anything as far as having to reflashing it back to stage 2.

I don't know if this is true for the 2.0, but on my 1.8t the traction control light will turn on if you unplug the MAF. It will turn itself off after a few minutes of driving once you plug the MAF back in. Just so you don't freak out if it turns on :wink:

That's funny because my traction light came on once my car started to freak out (And I obvi. I have the 2.0)

Bump, hopefully my friend is able to help me out and vag my car after work.:happyanim:

greg@podi.ca

Ready to race!
Yeah, I thought i had posted that in the first post. That was actually the first thing i checked when i ran I had to pull over.

You did, I was just giving more detail on how the car operates without the MAF plugged in.

If it doesn't and/or it bothers you too much, just either uplug your battery and let it sit unplugged for roughly 20 minutes and plug it back. It should be gone, keep in mind if your flashed with Revo(Not sure if other flashes such as APR, Giac etc. also) your most likely going to have to get it flashed again. I've had a few times where I've done those steps and I didn't notice anything as far as having to reflashing it back to stage 2.

Have you ever heard of this happening before? I think it's more of a wives tale if I'm not mistaken.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
You did, I was just giving more detail on how the car operates without the MAF plugged in.

Oh alright cool (I was just lazy and didn't feel like reading my own post lol)

Have you ever heard of this happening before? I think it's more of a wives tale if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I personally heard it from Rich (the Revo guy) from Lynmore motorsports a few minutes ago when I called (since he was the one who flashed me from stage 1 to 2 originally) , I asked if i could stop by and have him re-flash my car and that I unplugged the battery hoping to get rid of the Cel and Epc. He said word for word "Well your car has to be re-flashed regardless now be you unplugged the battery bringing the car back to stock mode"

This wasn't the first or only person that told me the above information.