GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EOI: Dec 15 - Private track day @ Wakefield Park

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Anyone interested to go Wakefield Park on Dec 15th?

Me and my mates are going to book the track.

Roughly < $233 for each car

We are looking for 15-20 cars max. (Yes only 15-20 cars from 9am-4pm)

Plenty of space/time to test your toy

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Not sure if I can make it yet as I may be moving around that time and it's hard to get movers so close to Xmas.

Do they hire out helmets?
Do you know what their policy is regarding recording equipment (i.e. windscreen or window mounted cams)?
Is this just a track exercise or more like Stg3 day?

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Yeah... put me down if we get 20 or so.

They do hire helmets at Wakefield. I think you also need to buy a 'wakefiled park licence' as part of their indemnity/insurance. They never seem to have a problem with cams providing they're well secured.

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
sounds tempting but i can't really confirm yes/no yet.

Funny, they do have helmets for hire, they don't really care about personal timing or cameras, and it would just be a track day where you can fang around Wakefield, probably no training. still fun though :thumbsup:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
ok i am down for this one.....i will need someone to teach me how to drive on the track :thumbsup:

yay this will be my first track day :headbang:

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&amp;amp;amp;Fuzzynuts
somebody PM me and concern about the crashing...

Wakefield Park is a open track...very unlikely you will hit something. It is one of the saftest track I ever been.

Insurance already included in that $233 (for the track, not your car)

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Yeah... they call Wakefield park the kiddy pool in motor sport circles with good reason. About the only place you can hit something is exiting the last corner on to the main straight. To actually hit something there, you'd either have to be driving like an absolute tool or have decided to go off into the dirt because... well... you're a tool :biggrin:

If you drive on Wakefield the same way you'd take a spirited drive, it's a great fun track and much much lower risk than taking a spirited drive on the road. Unless it's a CAMS sanctioned event, they do not allow you to line up on the grid and the marshalls will pull you off the track if you start racing. Cars get waved onto the track one at a time with a decent sized gap - so it's not elbow to elbow racing style action.

At the end of the day, if you're nervous about the day... it may not be the best thing for you. On the other hand, even if you've never driven on the track before, it can be great fun and a safer way to find out what your GTI or R32 can do. Instructor led courses are always the best start... but Nelson is a pretty sensible guy from my dealings with him and i'm confident this wont be a group of wanna-be track warriors out to prove something. There's not going to be timing and it's not a competition. I'm confident even with 20 cars there will be at least 2 groups of 10 (to limit numbers on the track and group cars of similar speed) which helps reduce testosterone and problems with traffic on the track.

Wipperman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
`
x 2 on what Scott has said.

you really have to be so far overcooking it to hit something solid it's not funny.

Nelson and co take their track days and track safety seriously. This day should be well organised and hassle free.:thumbsup:

This would be ideal for anyone wanting not only to get some track experience, but also stretch the legs of your car without the worry of losing your licence.

jump on you tube and look for the lines of experienced drivers.

best to go out and work your way up to the redline and max braking as well.

smooth and straight is well rewarded on the track, even more so on street tyres.

I might 'borrow' Ian's R888 from the dutton to come along.

Save a spot for me Nelson!:biggrin:

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
yeah as everybody says Wakefield is the best starting point for anyone wanting to go on to the track. i'll always remember my first time :wink:

if i try anything new with my car (new tyres, suspension setup, brakes, etc) i try and go to Wakefield to see how it goes because it is Safe with a capital 'S' (and i don't use capitals much). that said, i mean Safe as in you won't damage your car's body unless you hit the last corner exit wall (or another car). driving a $40k+ car around a track though is not for the faint hearted (or walleted) but at Wakefield it's as safe as you're going to get it.

not sure if i'll be able to make it yet, but fingers crossed.