GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ED30 DSG vs Mercedes SL 55 AMG

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
It was either the 2001 or 2006 I'm not sure which, to me they look alike.. power difference isn't really huge it's 475 vs 517 hp and 516 vs 531 lbft.. other than that it's the same 5.4 liter supercharged V8 and same weight.

He was alone I had a passenger, we did 3 runs, 1 roll and 2 digs..

Roll first, dead even up to ~130 mph. What happened there is he jumped like a fender because he hit it first but I took the fender back and stayed dead even till the end.

Dig next, road was like glass where we started, no way I could launch without ESP so I had it on the whole time. Not that I had any better luck with it, kept flashing for what it seemed like forever, but luckily the Merc went WOT just a blink of an eye before I got on 3rd so basically his traction advantage wasn't nearly as enormous. He jumped about 2 cars but I kept him there the whole time up to more or less the same speed as the roll.

Then it was another dig, this time he got off the line like a fucking rocket. These cars are supposed to do 0-60 in under 4.6 (definitely the 2006 model.. 2001 is maybe like 3 tenths slower but still under 5).. he put 4 cars on me but at least I held him there the whole time like before.

So basically it was only a matter of traction, because speed wise we were pretty much even, although I did have a passenger so at least I could have pulled maybe a car in the roll that we did first.. but that probably wouldn't have been enough to reel him in when we did the 2 digs, would've been closer is all. These are my conclusions. I'm happy all in all, after all I'm still stage 1.. and there's so little I can do about traction so I don't have to worry about that.. it is what it is..

..FWD racecar :biggrin:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Good runs for sure. Dig races definitely aren't a GTI's strong point, so if the dude didn't pull instant buslengths from a dig, it sounds like you drove well out of the hole, or maybe he had traction control on and that stifled his power at the hit. It sounds like you did some good driving and you have a strong running ED30. I'm pretty sure the SL55 can run high 12s so nice work keeping up.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
They are not the same engine at all. 01 is a normally aspirated 5.5l V8 with about 355HP. 02- 08 is supercharged 5.4l v8 with 493 HP and 516lbft. In 06 minor engine tweaks brought it to 516hp and 531lbft but no body modifications we're made so theyball look the same.

TSiUG

sleeper...
I had a run in with a 5.5L 382 hp CLK550 a few months back on the highway. From 70-about 120 I slowly pulled about 2 cars on him. Thing was pretty damn quick and the engine sounded amazing. Good runs.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I had a run in with a 5.5L 382 hp CLK550 a few months back on the highway. From 70-about 120 I slowly pulled about 2 cars on him. Thing was pretty damn quick and the engine sounded amazing. Good runs.

Ooh, he must have been PISSED, lol. How'd he handle losing a long roll like that? Like a gentleman, or like a bitch?

TSiUG

sleeper...
His buddy in the passenger seat was laughing his ass off and the driver had a wicked smirk. They were cool about it :)

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Good stuff!

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Amg cars sound awesome. Only thing I miss about driving a V8 is the sound.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
They are not the same engine at all. 01 is a normally aspirated 5.5l V8 with about 355HP. 02- 08 is supercharged 5.4l v8 with 493 HP and 516lbft. In 06 minor engine tweaks brought it to 516hp and 531lbft but no body modifications we're made so theyball look the same.
Thanks for the detailed info.. and you could be right I dunno, when I got home that night I did a little research and found this then I was trying to figure which one it must've been for the result. Anyhow, it was definitely one of the supercharged versions, I could tell on the 1st of the 2 digs.

Yeah it sounded great although I prefer high pitch engine sounds like for example Lexus LFA's, Toyota Supra's, Honda NSX's.. or even better Zonda's (Zonda R sound is by far my favorite. I do love muscle though.

It's been 2 years with my stage 1 and K04 still don't cease to surprise me about the cars I can hang with. And the reason it does that is thanks to its wide powerband, from very low (close to zero lag) to nearly redline. Some say it behaves sort of like a big turbo but without the lag. No disrespect to the real big turbos out there that I would gladly swap if I had the budget for an engine build.. just saying, K04 holds its own pretty well.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Hey DarkX
I too am getting quite bold now as it seems the little K04 I have is able to hang with any other car that runs low to mid 12's from a roll.
You are stage 1 K04, yes? What is your bhp?
What stage would a giac extreme remap be considered and what would be the gain from, say, 350bhp?

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Yeah I'm stage 1, which is basically just the tune itself but I went one step further by adding an intake which I did mainly for the sound, but it also delivers a slight performance increase in the higher rpms. But until I get an exhaust I'm still stage 1... my stages are similar to yours, stage 2 is tune-intake-exhaust and 2+ is with a hpfp... the only difference is that there is no K04 stage, and stage 3 goes straight to a GTX3071R (Revo has a file for that).. but if I ever go stage 3 I'll most probably go for GTX3076R. That's it..

The only time I dynoed my car was last Summer with temperature above 85 and since I'm with the stock cooler the tune dropped timing and boost.. despite that I got 322 crank hp and 340 lbft torque. I'm gonna dyno again sometime this month or next month, but there is no doubt I'll make at least 330 crank hp and possibly a bit more torque. I'll upload when it's done..

I have no idea about GIAC's tunes.. but when I finish my stock turbo setup and put everything on (including forge fmic, wg and dv) we'll try setting 9.7.9 from 9.6.9 that I'm running now.. hell we may push it as far as it holds! Anyway, I'll be looking at roughly 400 crank hp when it's done.. this remains to be seen of course. But it's gonna take me a while because I've been helping my gf tune her car.. and I'm still happy with my power so.. no rush. If it takes me forever we can always sell her car, she gets mine and I work on something entirely different.. who knows :biggrin:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah I'm stage 1, which is basically just the tune itself but I went one step further by adding an intake which I did mainly for the sound, but it also delivers a slight performance increase in the higher rpms. But until I get an exhaust I'm still stage 1... my stages are similar to yours, stage 2 is tune-intake-exhaust and 2+ is with a hpfp... the only difference is that there is no K04 stage, and stage 3 goes straight to a GTX3071R (Revo has a file for that).. but if I ever go stage 3 I'll most probably go for GTX3076R. That's it..

The only time I dynoed my car was last Summer with temperature above 85 and since I'm with the stock cooler the tune dropped timing and boost.. despite that I got 322 crank hp and 340 lbft torque. I'm gonna dyno again sometime this month or next month, but there is no doubt I'll make at least 330 crank hp and possibly a bit more torque. I'll upload when it's done..

I have no idea about GIAC's tunes.. but when I finish my stock turbo setup and put everything on (including forge fmic, wg and dv) we'll try setting 9.7.9 from 9.6.9 that I'm running now.. hell we may push it as far as it holds! Anyway, I'll be looking at roughly 400 crank hp when it's done.. this remains to be seen of course. But it's gonna take me a while because I've been helping my gf tune her car.. and I'm still happy with my power so.. no rush. If it takes me forever we can always sell her car, she gets mine and I work on something entirely different.. who knows :biggrin:

I keep seeing people claim BHP on a dyno.

First of all, you need to remove the engine and use an engine dyno to measure torque.

Second, there is no way to measure HP on any engine at any time. Look it up.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
I don't care Fed.. I use dynos to see my before and after gains anyway.. for now I'm just interested to see how much I lose during the summer months, as opposed to winter. I'll use that info to make before and after comparisons after the fmic. In any case, every dyno reads a bit different, some may read a lot different so I would be naive to just go for a number just to show to people, yet the dyno plot I got under such hard conditions was really nice.

Btw I'm going to dyno at the wheels some other time, but that's gotta wait until after stage 2.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't care Fed.. I use dynos to see my before and after gains anyway.. for now I'm just interested to see how much I lose during the summer months, as opposed to winter. I'll use that info to make before and after comparisons after the fmic. In any case, every dyno reads a bit different, some may read a lot different so I would be naive to just go for a number just to show to people, yet the dyno plot I got under such hard conditions was really nice.

Btw I'm going to dyno at the wheels some other time, but that's gotta wait until after stage 2.

Since you admitted you're claiming BS numbers I have no problem.