Dsg tip

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for sharing, good info! :thumbsup:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanx dude this is very helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure if this was an issue in the long wrong, VW engineers wouldn't have designed it like this. I'm sure more things can go wrong shifting into neutral and back into drive constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Who would think that your clutch wouldnt be engaged when your in gear but not moving lol?
Also yeah your clutch wont engage when your in nuetral... thats the whole point of neutral

Do all the manual guys wear out when holding clutch in(engaged) at a stop light? Its just how the transmission works.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Indeed, holding your clutch in while in gear at a stop light does wear out your clutch.

I too have noticed that just sitting at a light holding my brake the car shakes a lot more than if i were to slip it into neutral. I am on the fence about operating this way of course due to possible other wear items.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Indeed, holding your clutch in while in gear at a stop light does wear out your clutch.

I too have noticed that just sitting at a light holding my brake the car shakes a lot more than if i were to slip it into neutral. I am on the fence about operating this way of course due to possible other wear items.

Maybe someone can contact an engineer to see if this is an issue at all. My theory is it has clutch packs and it's designed to operate this way. Otherwise VW would design the transmission to go into neutral at lights. I think people make driving the DSG much more complicated than it is. VW wouldn't mass produce a transmission to the general public if it needed all the nuances people make into driving it. I think what wears out the clutch packs more is stage 2+ power levels without a proper DSG tune. Also, the hard driving people do in our cars.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^That is part of my consideration as well. However I must say it is annoying at lights to feel it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
^That is part of my consideration as well. However I must say it is annoying at lights to feel it.

so push the brake in more. If you actually hold the brake you wont feel any creep or pull. If you are barely holding the brake you will feel it trying to creep.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Do all the manual guys wear out when holding clutch in(engaged) at a stop light? Its just how the transmission works.

I've driven manuals since I was a young pup. Yes holding the clutch while you wait at a light is bad for it. More specifically the Throw out bearing.

I drive a DSG now & pop it into neutral at lights. I don't figure I'm hurting a thing by doing it. Leaving it in gear feels like the clutch is disengaged just enough to let the car creep forward off the brake. To me it feels like the clutch is slipping when doing that.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The whole point of DSG = DIRECT SHIFT Gearbox

So without a torque converter, it has that always ready to go feeling (the creeping feeling off the brake and/or the left foot braking feeling, when lightly holding the brake)

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
The whole point of DSG = DIRECT SHIFT Gearbox

So without a torque converter, it has that always ready to go feeling (the creeping feeling off the brake and/or the left foot braking feeling, when lightly holding the brake)

Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree. If it was an issue than why do super cars use dual clutch and direct shift gear gear boxes? Clearly they work very well.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
Nice to see this visually in vcds.

This question has been debated for years now. It comes down to common sense, personal preference or piece of mind. If you're stopped at a painfully long traffic light or waiting for a train or something, put it in neutral. For normal city traffic/lights, drive it like Grandpas Buick.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Nice to see this visually in vcds.

This question has been debated for years now. It comes down to common sense, personal preference or piece of mind. If you're stopped at a painfully long traffic light or waiting for a train or something, put it in neutral. For normal city traffic/lights, drive it like Grandpas Buick.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

What he said.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
doesn't it need some pressure, so when you let off the brake it rolls forward like a traditional automatic would? i have a 6spd but like everyone knows already if you slightly let go of the clutch with no gas it will roll forward, isnt this pretty much the same exact thing the DSG is essentially an automated manual transmission