GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drive car of the year for under 60K

Yellow R26

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't like it,

Same thing as the Clio 200, lots of 'missing' bits like DSG o semiauto gear box, boring interior, SATNAV system,

Overall against the GTI or the R is not worth value X money,

Not a fan of DSG, awesome technology but I like feeling connected to the car and a bit of old fashion heel toe is awesome for that :)

One of the downsides of Renault ownership is resale value, but all in all it's not that bad - seems there are more and more brand fans these days.

One of things to keep in mind is that they are perfectly sorted out of the box and don't need to be tinkered with.

The Clio 200 won against the R, Sirocco R, WRX, GTI, Seat, Focus RS, etc .. I think it was 15 cars in total - this was in top gear magazine.

Again the VW's were all highly rated and are awesome cars, its just a different vibe to the frogs :thumbsup:

Yellow R26

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there much turbo lag in the Megane? coz lag in the R is a sore point.

In my R26 there wasn't but I haven't driven the 250 yet, was going to organise a test drive. Something about a dual vane turbo does the trick, they also have all the boffins from Nissan working at the sport plant in Deippe - they are all hand built in specific location.

M4RK0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI - MK6
A test drive is in order. :thumbsup:

Hey Rocco, did you guys test drove the RS 200?, I heard that Angela was very keen to one of those...:rolleyes:

I had two generations of Clios RS and this one was the worst.....IMO,

Plus Yellow you are right the resale value is crap..I'll get more from my 12 year old Ford, :)

Let us know how it goes the drive...

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
The Clio 200 wasn't our cup of tea, needed a turbo as it was starved of torque with its 2.0 N/A engine.

Angela test drove the Meg & liked the performance compared to the R, but wasn't happy with the interior or vision. I've yet to test it.

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
I could take it or leave it.

Generally not a fan of the interior. Very plain.

The frogs seem to win out in comps by making very track biased cars, looks at all the previous models. Stripped out, stipp suspension. I mean great for fang but you can't beat the Golf on day-to-day drivablility.

That's the whole idea of a "hot hatch". To quote Clarkson, "Take the kids to school and then drive home like you say on a wasp"

brisgti

Ready to race!
Anything French no thank you. There about as reliable as there army lol.

delurk
:threadjacked:
you mean the army whose military tradition over 500 years has given us words like: army, artillery, battle, captain, company, corporal,
defense,enemy,marine, navy, sergeant, soldier, volunteer, regiment, grenade, brigade, guerrilla, bayonet, enfilade and camouflage?

i have a thing about casual abuse of historicity, not to mention misleading reliability info. :lol:
/delurk

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Didn't like much about the looks of the previous Megane, never a fan of the big butt. And that wierd pull up handbrake.
However, did love how the LSD equipped R26 just ate up the road.

New car looks are a bit meh.
Hopefully it's a little more practical from a family point of view.

GTI didn't get a vote - probably because judges are now expecting much more or something groundbreaking, which the new models aren't (just evolutions of a good formula)

Yellow R26

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't get the interior thing with the leather recaros and the RS heads up display, I think it's ok :)

I think the car is track biased but having owned ones they where fine as day to day drivers and the reviews seem to confirm this - it's an important factor in a hot hatch.

Anyway off to bed catch you blokes tomorrow :p

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
The French idea of a 'track car' is one that drives very fast on their back road goat tracks - tarmac rally style. The ride can be uncomfortable at times but in my experience they have this weird ability to maintain surface contact even on some really rough roads. Compliance... it's a frog specialty. Drive confidence in the car is another story - which is why so many people find them easy to drive fast on a track but have issues on b-roads. If you trust the grip and keep pushing the car you'll be amazed just how much further a frog mobile will go over it's German counterparts on a rough road.

The French have always done polarising interiors - you either love or hate them. Generally no middle ground. After all the frog cars i've owned the only complaints i'd have are about ergonomics at times (related to my height!) and general fit. You always get rattles.