GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone mount insert, install on a lift or are ramps ok?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I want to install a dogbone mount insert, I was told this needs to be done on a lift rather than ramps because the mount will deflect and make inserting the thing impossible. Is this legit advice?

Any other help or general tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated here.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I installed mine with the front on two jack stands, ample amounts of grease, and a rubber mallet. Hardest part was tightening it down to the torque spec; I seem to remember it was the last 90° turn that was a bitch.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
It includes a new non-stretch bolt so hopefully I can avoid that.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It includes a new non-stretch bolt so hopefully I can avoid that.

Mine had a new bolt as well, I'm not sure it matters. Also, some people that have had a hard time getting the mount insert in all the way used a small jack to push it up and in.

DerekH

Ready to race!
jack stands, grease, hammer, and whiskey

You missed the whiskey after the jack stands, then the one after the grease, and the one after the hammer as well. Oh and don't forget the whiskey after the whiskey, pretty much the most important step.

On a side note dish soap works as good lube to get the insert in and you might find the motor wants to tip forwards just a little bit once the bolt is out. Just enough to make it a pain to line stuff up. be ready to rock the motor around when trying to line things up again. Or have the jack handy if you can't/it's too awkward to rock enough just jack up the front of the motor a tiny bit.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Gonna give it a shot this afternoon on ramps.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Done. 5" of rise on my ramps was plenty of room. Used some dish soap and got it started, used a scissor jack and a hockey puck to drive it home. Bolt went in without a problem or needing to rock the engine.

Install time was ~15min.

Used a spulen street density insert. Initial thoughts, I wish I did this a long time ago. I am involved with NVH testing professionally and I was freaking out that it would turn my car into a rattle box. I found no drawbacks. No harsh vibration on startup, no rattles. Just a solid feel. Also the damn fuel line rattle is gone!