GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Forge MKIV Coolant and Oil Caps

Nikerey

Darkness
So after spending some time at Forge and talking to a couple other dubbers here in town we came to realise that the MKV can use the MKIV Coolant and Oil cap covers made by Forge.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0015&product=FMMIS150/152

Parts Needed
- Forge MKIV Coolant and Oil Caps Covers
- MKIV VW Coolant and Oil Caps
- Epoxy or other strong glue
- Razor Blade.

Both of the MKIV Caps have the same lower portions that actually attach to the car, the differences are the tops. The MKIV Coolant cap has a much taller hand grip and it does not extend outside the top of the cover. The Oil cap is almost identical just slightly smaller and shorter.

I ran both the coolant cap and oil cap by themselves first for a little while just to make sure they worked and I didnt have any problems. please make sure your caps work before trying this DIY, Coolant and Oil are kind of important to keep in the tanks.

The Coolant cap is very staright forward, just put the cover on and use the provided Hex tool to tighten the set screws, 2nd pic.

The only downside is that the cap does not sit facing forward, it sits either facing left or right. This is not a problem with the Forge part, its just the way the MKIV part fits on the MKV.

The Oil Cap is a bit more tricky. Because to Oil cap is a bit shorter the cover cannot sit totally flush. There is a tube that comes up from the engine and this is where the cap sits, the small flange does not allow the cover to sit all the way down. Also the Cap on the MKV sits at a bit of an angle, not facing straight, we will correct this too.

Put the MKIV Cap on the car. Place the cover over the cap and have the Forge Logo face straight forward. Using the Hex key from before tighten the set screws on both sides. The screws should grab just on the outside of the Oil Cap handle. Once tight remove the cap. Use the razor blade to score a line on the side of the Oil Cap to mark where the Cover sits. Remove the cover and notice the small circles where the set screws were tightened. You will use these two marks to put the cover back on. Mix your epoxy and coat the top of the cover and the edges where the set screws are located. Re attache the cover using the score on the side of the cap to measure your depth, and the set screw marks for the rotation. It should look like this when your done.

Upside down

Mine got a little crooked but it sits fine once installed on the car.
Let your epoxy set for a couple hours or overnight and install on the car.

You can do this same mod using your stock caps it will just take a bit more modification, but the MKIV caps shouldnt cost you much from the dealer.

I want to thank Mike from Forge for the help with this project. :thumbup:

Ill have a DIY on the Gas Cap too once they get some more in stock.

ChongivityAct

Banned
sorry but imo it's pretty pointless to change this.