GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Devils Own Stage 2 Install

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
This DIY is over 30 pages long so I won't post the whole thing here.

Here is a link to a PDF version of the DIY: PDF

Here is the first section of that PDF:

After considering all the WM kits I decided on the DO Stage 2 kit.

The Snow performance was 2nd place but in the end I decided on MAP controlled over MAF controlled because the temperature in my city can change drastically in a matter of hours. The free check valve, a metal nozzle holder and black tubing are also a plus.

I considered the AEM kit but I did not want to run any boost lines, I’d rather have it electronic.

I wanted the install to be as clean and stealth as possible, I didn’t want any exposed wires, no fuse holders visible, etc. I opted to solder all the connection instead of using the Posi-Lock connectors.

Devils Own Stage 2 WM kit 2.5bar:

Stage 1, Wiring:

Tools:
T25
T30
8mm socket
10mm socket
13mm socket
Electrical Tape
Soldering Iron
Tweezers
Pointy tool

Parts:
Repair wire 000 979 242
Zip tie

Step 1, Prepare the controller:
The gray wire is not needed as I plan on using the MAP sensor on the engine instead of using an external Map sensor:

The pink power wire was not long enough so I switched it to a longer 16 gauge wire. From here on in the pink wire will be black:
ttp://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt53/cadbury204/WM/IMG_2946.jpg[/IMG]

Step 2, Remove battery and tray:
The removal of the battery is self explanatory. You will need a 10mm wrench/socket to remove the cables from the battery. Always remember to remove the negative side first. The bracket that holds the battery down is 13mm (blue).

Once the battery is removed you will need to remove the tray it sits on. There are 3 bolts (red). In the picture below one bolt is not pictured:

Tray removed:

Step 3, Remove relay panel:
First remove the positive wires from the relay panel. You will need a 10mm socket (red) and an 8mm socket (blue):

Unscrew the T30 screw (red) and the panel should pop off. We will be adding a fuse in F23 (blue):

When I pulled the relay panel off I was working blind I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out. I had an extra repair wire from when I installed my alarm siren and I found a connector on the back of the panel that fit the repair wire perfectly. I probed around with a multimeter for a few seconds and I found that the fuse above (Blue) connected to the pin 15 on the connector below the panel below (red). This is where I decided to add the 10amp fuse that came with the DO kit.

Step 4, Add repair wire:
This is the spot where we will add the repair wire. You will need to push the pink clip (blue) in the direction of the arrow:

Push out the green water tight plug with the tweezers:

Add silicone to the wire to ensure everything is water tight and insert from the bottom side. VW wanted this panel to stay water tight so once I had the wire in there I double checked that the new wire was indeed water tight. Once completed push the pink clip (2 pictures back) back to its original position:

Step 5, Run wires through firewall:
This is the rubber gasket where we will run the wires. It’s located behind where the battery used to be:

Use a long pointy tool and push it through the gasket. You will need to remove the black panel above the pedals to see the gasket from the inside. Remove these 2 screws (red), they are both T25:

The tool:

Wires pulled through from outside:

Wires on the inside:

Step 6, Run wires inside engine compartment:
Put the 3 wires into the wire loom supplied with the DO kit and run it next to the other wiring harnesses (red):

Solder the black power wire to the yellow repair wire we installed earlier:

Locate and remove the 14 pin connector from its holder. It’s located near the coolant hose in front of where the battery used to be:

Strip wire, attach green wire from the DO controller, and then solder together. The wire is the Lilac/Green wire in pin 14:

The wiring in the engine compartment is now complete. The blue wire pictured below will be run to the pump in stage 2:

Reinstall the relay panel, battery tray, and battery:

Step 7, Connect relay and ground:

Here is the circuit diagram for the relay. The colors of your wires may be different:

Remove the kick panel to access the ground post. Instructions can be found in the sub install DIY http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3250572. Once the panel is removed attach the ground wire to the post, this wire runs to the DO controller. Once complete reinstall the kick panel:

Remove a section of insulation from the ground wire going to the controller and splice in the black side from the relay:

Attach the white wire from the relay to a 12v switched source. The black wire in the picture goes to my radar detector:

Cut the black (used to be pink) positive wire and attach one side to the yellow wire from the relay and the blue wire to the other side:

I drilled 2 holes into the cubby near the steering wheel and attached a zip tie to keep the controller from moving too much:

Secure the relay to the existing wiring above the black cover using electrical tape, re-install the black cover, the cubby tray and this stage is complete.

Check out the PDF above for the rest of the install.

*Edit: Sept 25/2017 updated links

-Cad

Last edited:

sloMk5

2007 GTI
great job, I'll definitely be using this when my kit gets here. Thanks for posting :)

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
cadbury you're the shit. thanks a lot for the write up.

make sure dpham00 knows you made this so he can add it to the stickey.

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
Please note that with this setup the DO controller will always be on. It does not draw much current (about 70ma) so it won’t drain your battery very fast.

Anything above 50ma is considered excessive and will drain your battery.

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
Anything above 50ma is considered excessive and will drain your battery.

Anyone have any suggestions for a relay? I understand the concept... but, I know nothing when it comes to wiring.

Edit: Wait... I was just reading that the devils own progressive controller has a built-in relay... is this for something else?

Last edited:

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
There isn't a relay inside the controller.

I bought a relay yesterday, I haven't installed it yet. Ill do that tomorrow and add to the DIY.

-Cad

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Took some logs.

91 octane in the tank, 93 octant timing setting.

Revo settings B7 T4 F6.

I'm using the D03 nozzle and the pump is at about 180 PSI, so the flow rate is about 225ml/min.

This nozzle is way to small. I plan on switching to the D05 nozzle and I may lower the PSI slightly.

Start boost was just under 5 and the full setting was set to 10

It also looks like I have a boost leak, probably where the nozzle is threaded in. Ill get some GOOP and seal it better when I swap the nozzle.

With the WM on:

WM off:

-Cad

skateboy918

Ready to race!
did you consider using a fuse tap into the fuses on the inside of the car on the driver side?

This is what i did for my electronic boost guage. you will only get +12V when the you turn the car to "on"

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
No not really. I wanted to power the kit from a power source that was as close to the battery as possible and I didn't want to run the kit from a switched 12v source.

What I plan on doing today is adding a relay to the negative side of the kit and have the relay powered from the switched 12v source.

I have already added 2 repair wires to the dash fuse panel, one switched and one constant. I will power the relay from the switched 12v fuse.

Here is the DIY where I added the fuses: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83776

-Cad

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I changed the DIY and updated the PDF for the relay.

I did things slightly different from the way I explained things in my post above this one.

-Cad