GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Build your own Adjustable Front Sway Endlinks

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for doing all the research and finding the parts. I just ordered the parts ($77 with shipping). Even though I only dropped the car 1.5", I have issues. I think the OEM ball joints are shot.

Good deal man. One quick note, the OEM end link 18mm nuts that secure the ball joint rods to the strut mount tabs and sway bar utilize a m12x1.5 thread pitch...these MWC ball joint thread rods utilize a m12x1.75 pitch. Lowes, HD or any local hardware store should carry these replacement flange nuts (four of these will cost roughly $2). :thumbsup:

Elwood

3-7-77
OK, thanks for the info.

I had another thought. If VW designed the swaybar to connect to the lower control arm instead of the strut, none of this would be necessary.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Would you mind posting up a pic of the OEM link next to your DIY adjustable link for comparison? The first question that popped into my mind when I saw this was what materials are the parts you've put together made from, and how does the adjustable endlink compare to the OEM link in terms of thickness, etc.

DSC00012.JPG

Sorry for the delay on the picture detailing the comparison between the OEM endlink and these. As you can see, the custom DIY endlink is just a hair larger in diameter; however, without the stress from preloading the sway bar, these endlinks have held up remarkably well thus far. All four ball joints are in amazing shape and still sealed. I have noticed that the first couple of FSB movements in the morning, the ball joints have created a few "popping" noises. However, after 50-100 feet of driving, the joints lubricate themselves and all is quiet until the next extended period of non-driving.

As for the handling, I can't say I've noticed a significant improvement over the stock links...most likely due to the lack of a corner balance alignment. Steering feel and comfort are the two most noticeable differences since installing these. Steering is a little more responsive and predictable...basically, the minute you move the wheel one direction or another the car responds right away. Second, with the preload removed from from the front sway bar, the coilovers actually seem to provide a significantly "smoother" ride.

I'll give another "durability" update hopefully in 6 months should all be going as planned. If something fails beforehand, I'll be sure to update this thread as well. However, after roughly a month and 2k miles (travels to H2O), these links seem to be everything you'd expect from them. :thumbsup:

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Nice writeup, is that spindle housing aluminum?

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Fantastic job you did there! I gotta do this on my front end as well....and let us know when u have that rear ends as well:thumbsup:

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
Good write up. I just got the parts in today and I need to shorten about .25" off of each end to match the length of the ones that came with my jic cross coils.

I think mine is going to be an isolated case though.

Sent from my DROID X2

cuerna

Ready to race!
I'm thinking to do this too, or pretty similar, I have the spullen adjustable links, but two ball joints are shot, so I'm thinking just to buy the ball joints and attach them to the spullen rod, I just have to find the right size ball joints (M14 1.5), I haven't been able to find them so far, Midwest control do not carry that size....

JRutter

old man
Nice, creative DIY. Getting a different range of length adjustment would be helpful in some cases. However, I don't understand how the length of the end links affects "preload" in any way. The only preload that you can put on the sway bar is to have uneven length end links or have more pressure on one side of the suspension (like from cornering lean or uneven pavement).