GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amber Singals

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I have a problem, I did the mod on both bulb holders, but only the right one works, I can't get the left one to work, any ideas?

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
this is really really cool, thanks darcness

ninja edit: oh wow this was posted awhile ago, wish i had seen it sooner

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
i think you're going to have to be much more specific to get any help. have you double/triple/quadruple checked all the connections? check for shorts/broken connections etc. are you sure the bulb is good? is your vagcom coding correct?

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I haven't use vag-com yet. I've checked the connections like five time, but it doesn't make sense. The right side works fine (aside from the need of vag-com) but the left side doesn't go on. But if I swap the bulb holders, the one that wasn't working on the left side works on the right side, but the one that was working on the right side no longer works if connected to the left side. I followed all the instruction to a T aside from the vag-com. The pictures on this DIY are from the right bulb holder, so I tryed to mirror all the wiring, and the cutting onto the left bulb holder. I have no clue of whats going on. The bulbs are fine, and I even bought two sets of 194 bulbs (clear and red because autozone didn't have amber) and a set of amber 168 bulbs. I hope I was specific enough as to my issue. Please, I really want to get this working, I even ordered another left bulb holder from the dealer in case I ruined something on mine. I tryed to be as specific as I can. I appreciate any help regarding my issue. If anybody has a picture of the left side bulb holder and can post it here will be a lot of help.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Another thing that cought my attention was the wiring harness. They both have 4 pins and three wires going to heach one. The one on the right side has pins 1, 2, and 3 wired, and the one on the left side has pins 2, 3, and 4 wired, is that normal?

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
awesome write up darc.

random side question, do you know of any way to disable error checking via vag-com so to use led bulbs in the stock tails?

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I haven't use vag-com yet. I've checked the connections like five time, but it doesn't make sense. The right side works fine (aside from the need of vag-com) but the left side doesn't go on. But if I swap the bulb holders, the one that wasn't working on the left side works on the right side, but the one that was working on the right side no longer works if connected to the left side. I followed all the instruction to a T aside from the vag-com. The pictures on this DIY are from the right bulb holder, so I tryed to mirror all the wiring, and the cutting onto the left bulb holder. I have no clue of whats going on. The bulbs are fine, and I even bought two sets of 194 bulbs (clear and red because autozone didn't have amber) and a set of amber 168 bulbs. I hope I was specific enough as to my issue. Please, I really want to get this working, I even ordered another left bulb holder from the dealer in case I ruined something on mine. I tryed to be as specific as I can. I appreciate any help regarding my issue. If anybody has a picture of the left side bulb holder and can post it here will be a lot of help.

bump for help please:cry:

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Another thing that cought my attention was the wiring harness. They both have 4 pins and three wires going to heach one. The one on the right side has pins 1, 2, and 3 wired, and the one on the left side has pins 2, 3, and 4 wired, is that normal?

:frown:

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Have you checked your fusebox for blown fuses? I was surprised that, after owning domestic cars for most of my life, that my vw had separate fuses for the left and right side tails.

No I haven't, but is not that because since the left tail wasn't working, I had to change all the wiring back to stock, so I wouldn't get pulled over. And after changing everything back, it works like before doing the mod. So my left tail light works as US spec, and my right tail light works as Euro spec. I know, it looks like shit, thats why I'm so desperated in getting it fixed.

hobbes

Ready to race!
About the wiring, I followed the DIY posted in the thread below, a few posts down:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98214

It's the same idea as darcness', but modifying the wire harness instead of the bulb holder.

Just follow where the signals go where back to the wiring harness to see if they're correct. I did this a while ago, so it's hard for me to remember. If the wiring matches up, the wiring harness is one less thing that could be wrong.

Maybe attach pictures of both bulb holders.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
The problem is that everybody has a DIY with the right bulb holder, and not the left one. My right bulb holder works fine, is the left one giving me trouble. I don't know if it has to do with the wiring harness, because the harness on the right has pins 1, 2, and 3 wired, and the left one has pins 2, 3, and 4 wired, so that part is confusing me.