GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Pull/Custom Radiator

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
Warning: MKIV Content

This is what happens if you have to pull the dash on a MKIV to replace the Heater Core. The Stealership would charge you 9 hours of labor just to replace the Heater Core. We got it done in about 7-8 hours with breaks. We literally had to pull EVERYTHING!!!
Hell on earth:

Now the front end off and Radiator out:

Lil Whoring of the Nasty Lysholm'ed MKII:

When replacing the heater core, I decided to replace most of the Cooling system as well which led me to have a Custom Radiator made...

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
I took out my OEM Radiator, shipped it to Griffin, they Blueprinted the stock one, made me a custom one that is all Aluminum and has Aluminum end tanks. 40-45% better cooling than OEM unit.
I didn't take it out of packaging box cause I had to transport it over to my buddies house where my .:R is. You can imagine how easy it would be to bend the fins.

Custom All Aluminum Radiator Made by Griffin:

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
Where's the MKV content Jeff?

so when do i go for a ride in this thing?

ninja edit to put in disclaimer...

It should be back up an running soon. Just waiting for a few more parts to come in to finish it up and it finally got above 20 degrees after the past month. Very soon my friend! :thumbsup:

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
Brutal! I wonder if a MkV would be as painful...

IDK, I wouldn't see it being very easy regarless. the MKIII VR's were like this too and I heard even worse :mad:

Piece of advice, just don't blow your Heater Core @ the Track!! Luckily we caught it on a pit out lap and it didn't piss Coolant all over my footwells if I would have been @ full throttle on front straight or something...

JS GTI47

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
That Mk II is sweet. Nicely done.:thumbsup:

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Oh, man! That's scary as hell! I think I'm going to have nightmares now! :scared0016:

Not really, but looks like a lot of work, though. No thanks. I'd definintley screw somethig up in the process myself, so I'll leave the fun stuff to the pros.

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
Oh, man! That's scary as hell! I think I'm going to have nightmares now! :scared0016:

Not really, but looks like a lot of work, though. No thanks. I'd definintley screw somethig up in the process myself, so I'll leave the fun stuff to the pros.

It was pretty scary at 1st, but once you get in there and get it done all in one day it wasn't as bad as it looks. Still a major PITA though as there are all hidden clips and electrical connections. All that just to get to the Heater Core. Could not be in a worse location..
My buddy I have helping me has pulled dashed on MKIV's before so that def helps! Screw the pros, it would cost you an arm and a leg, plus your firstborn...

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
It was pretty scary at 1st, but once you get in there and get it done all in one day it wasn't as bad as it looks. Still a major PITA though as there are all hidden clips and electrical connections. All that just to get to the Heater Core. Could not be in a worse location..
My buddy I have helping me has pulled dashed on MKIV's before so that def helps! Screw the pros, it would cost you an arm and a leg, plus your firstborn...

Well, for something that major, yeah, probably wouldn't go to a stealership, even though I have a couple connections.